GTX 280 failing?

heartspark

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Hi all. Having a problem with my GTX 280 at the moment I think, though I'm not sure what. My PC is a Core2 QuadQ9650 @ 3ghz with 3g of ram, so I think most games should get by pretty reasonably.

A few months ago WoW started crashing on me, stalling at screens of gibberish noise mid-game, both at busy and quiet times with nobody around. The error increased in frequency till it got to the stage that I can't load WoW at all. I was using 2 screens at the time, and both would get some of the distortion around the same place.

I've tried all sorts of solutions - format and reinstall, updating video drivers, rolling back video drivers, and other silly tweaks that somehow made it work for the time it was switched on - but once it goes off, the next day it's back to broken. Here are some things I've done that have made it work until I switch it off for the day:

- unplugged my logitech Qcam
- reinserted said Qcam
- disabled Trend Micro anti-virus
- uninstalled Trend Micro anti-virus
- registry clean
- updated with drivers from Nvidia site
- rolled back to the original drivers I have on disc
- updated Directx to version 10
- manually told my Nvidia card to do antialiasing, triliner filtering, and other stuff it ought (?) to be doing already on full performance mode

And it's not only WoW that's crashing. Fallout 3 won't load at all now, and another benchmarking software I downloaded crashes pretty soon into it.

The GTX 280 has 2 DVI outputs. I've tried plugging the card into my LG screen's D-SUB and HDMI ports, and sometimes that works for a brief time, but soon enough the original error resurfaces. I've also tried both monitors sepearately to the same error. My screens seem to be fine, I can use them for my 2nd PC and PS3 without error.

And... I've already sent the PC back to the shop. They tested the CPU, memory and video card, and everything checked out. So they sent it back to me unchanged (like THAT would help...).

I'm at my wit's end here. I don't want to send the PC back again without doing all I can to fix it, since I'd started to think it was sware/driver related. But now I'm chalking it up to a funky DVI port, though the error comes from both in the end. My PC doesn't actually seem to have an output for regular motherboard graphics, either - so I can't test my PC straight from the M-board. The only empty slots back there are a printer and Serial port... So, it's the card or nothing.

Help!

Can you tell us the temperatures of the card? It seems every time the card tries to go into a heavier load, it crashes. This could be because of a faulty card, or because it somehow overheats (unlikely).

KidHorn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I agree the problem could be temperature related. If you're overclocking, don't, and see if it changes anything. If the temperature is high, maybe you can install some fans to cool down the case.

heartspark

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I'm not overclocking the card, and as far as I know the temperature isn't high. I will look around for some ways to measure the temperature and get back to you.