abstractcore

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
I got a small dent (to be more clear: it's not actually a dent, it's more like a cut since there is no missing piece)

To be more clear:
http://i34.tinypic.com/2364oi.jpg

The orange part is the dented/cut part. It got dented/cut just below the metal connector fin things, so it still works. The thing is that it will work but it won't work on anything graphically intensive such as playing anything from call of duty to starcraft. I can only browse the web and such :pfff:

Is there anyway to fix this? Even if I have to go all hardcore about it and get some special crazy glue or soldering tool.

P.S. I sent it to evga but they said they would have to charge $250 (cost of the card) to fix it, so I told them to send it back.

leon2006

Distinguished
What is your PSU? Thats is brand and capacity?....The minimum required for GTX 280 is 550W... You have to use KNOWN GOOD BRAND.

Below is the PS requirement for GTX-280
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_280_us.html

Its is possible that your VIDEO CARD is still good. As long as the edge electrical contract is there it should work. THIS BASE ON YOUR ILLUSTRATION.

Can you post a digital photo for more accurate assessment? A small cut on the PCB should not be a major issue unless it compromise the mechanical integrity of the metal contact. Other than that it should work.

abstractcore

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
I have a OCZ StealthXstream 600W PSU, that PSU (or anything for that matter) on my sig is old.

my updated rig is:
E4400 @2.7Ghz
GTX 280
OCZ StealthXstream 600W PSU
4GB A-Data Ram
Gigabyte P35-DS3R
Vista 32bit

I have a feeling too, that my PSU may be just shy of what the GTX 280 requires in power, I looked on newegg and saw someone say that it couldn't handle a GTX 280.

I recently bought a HD 4870 512mb for $100 USD and works 100% with this PSU. But I still want to fix this problem.

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
That PSU should be enough, esp with what looks like a 48a output on the 12v rails. You should provide a picture of the actual damage. Was the card working fine before you discovered the dent?

abstractcore

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
Well, I never got to use it before it got "damaged". About the PSU, something I've noticed is that it's been making some slightly strange noises recently, like some squeaking noises when it's under load.

I can't get pics up but it's basically wat's on the picture, the small cut is below the metal pins.