GTX 285 already discontinued?

arrpeegeer

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Well, at least according to Fry's and their EVGA line. No longer available and two different people there already said it is discontinued.

Not sure if that means just Fry's is discontinued carrying it or the line as a whole...?

What is left? the 295 head monster or I guess they figure Fermi is allegedly coming out anytime now and will replace this from a price/performance point?

I notice even NewEgg has no EVGA 1gb 285's but shows it might get them back in on 2/12 though I've seen that before with NewEgg when they stop carrying a product as it never shows up again.

Just wondering if anyone knows.

Newegg still has 7 different brands of it, since it has an expected delivery date i doubt it has been discontinued yet, it may be getting its production level reduced because its beaten by the much cheaper 5850 but the GTX285 was never a good purchase so im surprised it took them this long to reduce production.

arrpeegeer

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Yeah, and I guess despite the rumors of problems with Fermi, hopefully it at least competes with the 5870 specs otherwise I can't see why they would release it.

By rumors I mean the heat/wafer issues, cutting back on shaders, yadda yadda.

Will know if those were just rumors depending on the final card specs, but even then all that matters is performance, heat, and cost.

If ATI didn't _still_ have such crappy drivers, I'd not care what Nvidia was releasing but I hate ATI cards for that reason :)

arrpeegeer

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008

But that is the weird thing. How do you retired your best single gpu card (minus the 295 which is basically two cards sandwiched together) when you have nothing better to offer?

Sure, for anyone that does research, you'd be crazy to buy it but that must be a bitter defeat for them.

Plus some Nvidia fanboi might be blind to forums and benchmarks and would buy it if they could.

I'm guessing it's only because of the Fermi release pending and all their eggs in that basket.

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
They would stop making their flagship cards in preperation to making their new generation cards. Nvidia dose not need to worry about supply of their old 200 series cards as Im sure they have a half dozen warehouses full of them to sell untill Fermi is good to go.

Actually they have eggs in other baskets, some of which have brought in as much money in the last year as the discrete GPU's have brought in since day one.

arrpeegeer

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008

Then maybe that explains why ATI has owned them recently. Clearly, GPU's are no longer their passion or focus.

We'll find out in about a month or so.

If ATI just gets their driver/code monkeys in shape, it might not ever be a compeition again... :p