GTX 285 SLI obsolete??

Status
Not open for further replies.

crysisfan11

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
Hi all. I've been hearing that my dual 285s are pretty much outdated and i wont be able to run any of the newer games. Also i don't understand what all the hype is about DX11. is there REALLY such a HUGE difference in game play and visuals?? I was able to run Crysis 2 on ultra setting DX9 with good frame-rates...but then again that's DX9. My bigger question is if i will be able to run Battlefield 3 on ultra settings with 1920 x 1080 resolution. I never use anti-aliasing as i really don't pay that much attention to the screen so try to consider the performance without AA. I would also like to hear from the people that have had hands on experience play the current games with 285s. Thanks :D

Solution
As a current user of sli'd GTX 285, I would have to say that you should definitely be fine with these for a while lol. I'm running Metro 2033 on DX10 on high with about 40fps average... waiting for DX11 cards to get cheaper is most likely the best solution lol I can live with DX10 for a long while longer. I'm also running Skyrim on ultra settings on 1680x1050 :) full antialiasing
I haven't had any hands on experience with a GTX 285 SLI, but I know that it is still a potent setup, probably about equal to a current high end card card in terms of raw power. The biggest drawback is of course the lack of DX11 support. You'll definitely be able to run BF3 on ultra at 1080p with those cards, though some of the eyecandy will be disabled due to lack of DX11.

Right now there aren't a lot of games that actually use DX11, and of the few that do the graphical difference between DX9 and DX11 is subtle. Sometimes you have to really scrutinize the image to see a difference. In fast paced gameplay you aren't likely to really notice the rather subtle tessellation effects that most DX11 titles have. You don't really need to upgrade right now unless you really want the DX11 features.

lightus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
I agree with Supernova.

Really the difference with DX11 isn't huge. This is especially true when you are running around shooting people.

Here is a quick look at some differences on Crysis 2:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crysis-2-directx-11-performance,2983-2.html

I'd say just sit tight for now. Maybe you'll be able to keep those cards long enough to last you till the next gen! (no clue how long that's gonna be though)

Lonemarine117

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
As a current user of sli'd GTX 285, I would have to say that you should definitely be fine with these for a while lol. I'm running Metro 2033 on DX10 on high with about 40fps average... waiting for DX11 cards to get cheaper is most likely the best solution lol I can live with DX10 for a long while longer. I'm also running Skyrim on ultra settings on 1680x1050 :) full antialiasing

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.