Gtx 460 better or worse than gtx 260 1.8 gb version

toastofwar

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
so im thinking about buying the new gtx 460 but i want to know if it is better then the gtx 260 1.8gb version. bettter meaning i will get better framerates at higher settings. also im running in 1920 by 1080.

Solution

Unless the GTX260 is really really really cheap I can't see the point in getting one.
The GTX 460 would be more than able to handle 1080p res with more than 30 FPS, it really depends on which games. Crysis and Metro 2033 maybe not, but other games most likely.

The GTX 460 is faster than the GTX 260 1792 MB edition - doubling the frame buffer barely gives it any performance increases, except at 2560 x 1600 or so. Make sure to grab the 1GB edition of the GTX 460 though, it'll ensure that your frames won't drop at 1080p, I know it really only starts dropping at 2560 x 1600 with the 768 MB editions, but just to be sure get the 1 GB GTX 460.

In most games the GTX 460 performs around the same as an HD 5830 on average, which is faster than the HD 5770 - a card performing closely to the GTX 260.

games like just cause2,bad company2.crysis.metro 2033.crysis warhead.will suffer at full hd res at maxsetting.And if u go by reviews gtx460 is powerful than 5850.
23721.png

And I'm playing JC2 on a single 8800GT @ 19 x 10 and whilst I don't have everything maxed it runs fine and looks quite good.

if average is 44flps it doesnot means that min flps will be above 30.min flps will dip in 20 when heavy explosion or rendering takes place.For gaming keeping ur min frame above 30 is more important than keeping ur average 44 or 100
Xbit normally report the max and min framerates but they have yet to publish but it will be interesting to see what the drops are, it may not drop below 30fps.

If they benchmarked the level which has screenshot then its the first level.which is not very demanding.and benchmarking with fraps donot reduce framerate recording the game with fraps reduce framerate.And they only benchmarked 30 sec of gameplay.that will not reveal anything.And i really believe Toms benchmark but sadly even Tom donot mention which part of the game was benchmarked in games which lack built in benchmark.
You really ought to read about on the web a bit, if you had then you would find lots of threads, posts, and comments like this where people mention that using FRAPS to record impacts on framerates.

I already told u they are discussing about recording the gameplay using fraps and converting into video .benchmarking donot reduce anything.someone else plz explain him
When recording it will lock to whatever framerate is set but I've seen quite a few people mention that it will also have an impact on framerates when not in record mode, go google.

toastofwar

Distinguished
May 31, 2010

well i looked and the gtxs 260 seams to preform very closely to the 5830 on many titles