Gtx 460 Power Supply

pureflipper

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
i have a 400w power supply powering a computer i made for a friend it has a gigabyte nvidia geforce gtx 460 video card in it and a 3.2ghz phenom II black edition. at first i thought the problemb was being caused by the mother board being incompatible )its an asus ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO) upon further inspection of the video cards box i found the psu requierments on the back of the video card box it says requires a minimum of a 450w psu with a 12v 24a preformance rating so... Would that explain why the video card wont send any output and the device is a exclamation point in the xp device manager? I tried disabling the onboard graphics and that didnt work is all of this mess because im using an underpowered psu? Sorry this is my first build and its not even mine so im panicking. Because im not sure if the video card is compatible with the mother board and if i buy this new psu it wight not even fix the problem there.

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
A GTX 460 requires 2 6-pin PCI-e power connectors in order for it to run correctly. Does the power supply have those connectors? What's the model of your PSU? If it's a generic branded PSU, more than likely the amperage on the 12v rail is low and it does not have the necessary connectors to run a GTX 460.