[SOLVED] GTX 470 on 430w XFX TS?

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Hello.... Pretty strait forward question, my brother's computer is running the following specs:

MoBo: Gigabyte Motherboard (Will fetch the model if anyone asks)
CPU: i3 4370 @ 3,70 GHz stock speed
GPU: GT 730
RAM: 1x8GB
Storage: 2x500GB 7k RPM HDDs and 1x120GB SSD
PSU: XFX TS 430w (Bought in 2016)
Fan: 1x120mm via Molex

We are going to get a new PSU and new GPU later on in the summer but for now I was wondering if he can run an old GTX 470 I have lying around, should be much better than the GT 730. The Outervision PSU calculator shows a recommended wattage of 440W upon putting those specs in, just a little above what we have which USUALLY means a "No" but I keep hearing that if you have a quality unit you can slightly exceed wattage ratings and from what I was hearing in 2016 the XFX TS was excellent in quality... so am I safe to run GTX 470? Side note that the PCIE pins the XFX TS has ain't sufficient, if I can run the card, should I get one that converts one from Molex?

Thank you

Solution
A GTX470 is a ~220W card, IIRC, and should require 2x6pins, at a minimum.... Some AIB cards might've needed even more.

The 430TS only has a 6+2pin PCIe connector, and adapting from molex is a bad idea.
I wouldn't even attempt it, personally.

The 430TS is a SeaSonicEco platform. Dated, but quality - and could survive peak draws beyond it's official rating, but spec'ing a system out to be doing that often is not a great plan.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A GTX470 is a ~220W card, IIRC, and should require 2x6pins, at a minimum.... Some AIB cards might've needed even more.

The 430TS only has a 6+2pin PCIe connector, and adapting from molex is a bad idea.
I wouldn't even attempt it, personally.

The 430TS is a SeaSonicEco platform. Dated, but quality - and could survive peak draws beyond it's official rating, but spec'ing a system out to be doing that often is not a great plan.

Solution

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
So what you are basically saying is... The TS could probably handle the card if it had the proper cabling for the card because it's a quality unit from the past. So it's best to wait to avoid any damage, that's okay!

Could you explain why adapting from molex and other connectors is a bad idea? I had a supposedly professional computer store do it when I got a GTX 750. My 350w PSU did not have any PCIE connectors so they got an adaptor and converted the 2nd CPU connector into a PCIE one... I was running it like that for years, I still have the adapter even.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Adapters exist, adapters "work" for a lot of people. Doesn't make them a good idea.
Honestly, I haven't looked it up for a while... .but off the top of my head, the inconsistencies in molex requirements/quality is the biggest factor, and leaves a huge unknown quantity.
IIRC, the connection itself was rated something like 3A @ 12V years ago (36W), and the ATX spec now "recommends" (doesn't 'insist' AFAIK) on no more than 5A @ 12V (60W). Whereas a 6pin is rated, by spec at 75W.
So, you could be pulling 75W through cabling/connectors only rates for 60W or less.

A quality PSU certainly could do it, even junk PSUs have been known to do it.... but the longevity/safety aspect cannot be answered definitively.

So, what I'm saying is, if the TS was designed to do so, it would've had the appropriate cables.
If you don't have the proper cables, you need a new PSU, not an adapter.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Heck, just a couple of years back most GPUs shipped with adapters. Typically they were 2x Molex to 6pin though, which lightened the load on a single molex connector.

Again, not a great idea. In a pinch they could work, but a new PSU would be highly recommended.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The thing is, if you go for a new(er) GPU, you might actually be fine on that TS unit.
Cards like an RX570 can be had for $75 or less (used) or $120 range with free games - and require only a 6pin.

They're <150W cards, and an order of magnitude faster than a GTX470.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
You can find used GTX 660s for around £30 or less if you know where to look. I am considering it. You can even get a GTX 780 for £50 (Was thinking of replacing my own GTX 950 with that, but will probably not work on my CX550)

I even managed to get a GTX 580 for only £26 but not really sure how worth that is with driver support dropped for Fermi cards.

All of those cards are old, but for that price they don't seem like a bad deal

Again, Thanks so much for the info!

TRENDING THREADS