GTX 470 post-installation CPU slow down & very bad gaming experience.

Gamer_82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Hi Everybody :)

Today I have installed EVGA GTX 470 SC 1280MB DDR5 graphics card in my PC and from here all my problems begin. My PC's configuration is : Windows XP SP2 OS, Intel DG33FBC motherboard, Intel core 2 duo E8400 @ 3 GHz processor, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Seagate 500 GB SATA HDD, LG Flatron 19" LCD monitor, Cooler Master GX 650W PSU with 52Amps available on +12V rail, CPU dust-free / air-cooled.

I had been using onboard Realtek HD audio drivers and Intel's HD media accelerator drivers for media and gaming. I have installed Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 driver version 6.14.12.6658 dt. 7 Jan'11. Nvidia's HD sound drivers got installed automatically with video drivers. Now I have uninstalled Intel's HD media accelerator drivers. Before installing GTX 470 card in my CPU everything was running very fine and smoothly but now while I am typing this thread my mouse pointer and keystrokes are getting frozen for 2-5 seconds, firefox.exe CPU usage is 54%, even if I right click on any folder or file then explorer.exe usage shoots upto 60%, my PC has started behaving like it is from pre-historical era. Avira anti-virus and PC Tool Spyware scan says that PC is infection free. Earlier when I used to play Max Payne 2 using onboard memory it was a very pleasant gaming experience but now when playing with GTX 470 Max Payne 2 is getting frozen. I also tried playing FEAR, Far Cry, Doom 3 but every game got stuck after start. Screen goes black and to continue I forcibly press PC reboot with fingers crossed to see it booting again without HDD failure. I have tried "clean installation" of video drivers also but all in vain.

I need your valuable time and help to get worth of my $280 invested in GTX 470.
Thank you in advance for your support for which I've joined this forum.

Edit: Thread title corrected.

Gamer_82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
what was the previous gfx card.?
did you fully remove previous graphic drivers before install of GTX470, perform clean sweep..
is your system overclocked.?

@ malmental : thanks for your response :)

I was not having any graphics card prior to GTX 470. I was playing games using motherboard's onboard video memory.
Yes you are right...here I have done a mistake... I installed GTX 470's drivers without removing Intel DG33FBC (motherboard) onboard video drivers. Later I realised it so then I uninstalled Intel's HD media accelerator drivers (please correct me whether these are same as onboard video drivers or not ?) using control panel> add remove programs list.

Then I performed a clean installation of Nvidia's drivers but still problem exists because after clean installation Mafia 2 also got stuck and I found this message in control panel> administrative tools> event viewer> system : "The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates." So I again downloaded latest drivers from Nvidia's support centre showing its release date 18 Jan'11 but after installing its version is same as 6.14.12.6658 dt. 7 Jan'11. After doing this I again got same error message "The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop." while playing Mafia 2.

Also I would like to add to this thread that I am using motherboard's onboard sound drives to play Creative 5.1Ch speakers. While installing Nvidia's video drivers its HD sound drivers also got installed. Is there any clash between sound drivers of Nvidia and Realtek ?

I feel that there is also something wrong with video drivers. You are requested to guide me how to uninstall all previous versions of motherboard's onboard video memory drivers and install Nvidia's drivers only.

My CPU's processor is not overclocked while in GTX 470 overclocking provision is there but using "EVGA Precision" I am running it on default values.

Again while typing in this thread my PC is freezing momentarily again and again. It is happening only after installing GTX 470.

Guys....I need your valuable help.

Thank you again.

Gamer_82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
try this once more before you RMA the GTX470 becuase the card itself might be bad but we going to need to troubleshoot more.
now RMA might bring you another card and it might still do the same, if so then we will know it's not the card but something else.
if you feel the the audio drivers might indeed be an issue then uninstall the Realtek driver and use the nVidia HD only.
a C2D is not the best choice to run a GTX470 on but you shouldn't have the issues you are having.
uninstall the GTX470 and drivers and reboot with just the on-board video, let windows install the Intel HD media drivers and then continue into windows.
I want to check your temperatures when your unit is running.
so we need to get temp monitor software if you do not have any already..

@ malmental : thanks again for your response :)

As motherboard sound output is being taken to spekers so I kept Realtek sound drivers and from device manager> sound, video and game controller I disabled the Nvidia's HD sound drivers. Also now only Nvidia's video drivers are installed so after rebooting the CPU I tried playing Doom 3 and :bounce: it was running very smoothly, here I felt the gfx processing power of GTX 470 but after that I tried Mafia 2, FEAR and they are not running smoothly :cry: . Far Cry has started running smoothly at low quality. This time game video didn't crash.

EVGA Precision app says that under normal load gfx card temp is 40 degC and while playing Doom 3 at Ultra quality its temp goes upto 80 degC. I'll surely install CPU temp monitoring software and intimate here asap.

Does it mean that gfx card is not faulty and there is some other problem with my CPU or games' are 5 yrs old against new gfx card? CPU freezing is still happening :cry:

Plz HELP :eek:

Gamer_82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
we are trying to determine what the issue is that's why the questions..
I'm here to help if I can, don't worry.
you stated that the cpu and not the gfx card is freezing.?
so basically you are saying that the cpu is causing or might be causing your GTX470 to not run correctly.?
when was the last time the thermal paste was renewed or the last time you had to inspect or even remove cpu and/or heatsink.?
also how has the overall performance of the unit been lately.?
viruses, BSOD's or any other issues you remember.?
how old or new is the current HDD.?

@ malmental : thank you again for your response and patience :)

I built this CPU 2 years ago; thermal paste was never renewed; RAM, processor and its heatsink were also never removed, only whole CPU is vacuum cleaned once in a month.

Before putting GTX 470 in my CPU everything was running fine and overall performance was superb. Viruses are always got detected and deleted by Avira anti-virus and PC Tool Spyware. Virus infection was never an issue. 500GB HDD is 2 years old and still working fine without any problem. 8 months ago I added 1.5TB Seagate SATA HDD but within a month it crashed so I dumped it in trash so presently only 500GB HDD is working.

In last 2 years I never saw BSOD but only yesterday I saw BSOD just a moment earlier before CPU was pushed to hard-reboot after receiving message : "The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop....".

I also referred a discussion going on in this forum : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/286816-33-asus-issue-slow-boot-performance where Mr. unaligned removed 2 out 3 RAM sticks from his CPU and his problem similar to mine was solved.

Therefore I also did the same, in my CPU I've got 2 sticks of 2GB RAM each and I removed 1 stick of 2GB RAM and booted the PC with only 1stick of 2GB RAM.
And guess what :bounce: ....my PC booted in 30 seconds as it used to prior to installing GTX 470. Mouse pointer, keystrokes and PC freezing problem got vanished. It has started working absolutely fast and fine as it used to be. Then with bated breath I started FEAR, Far Cry, Mafia 2 and Doom 3 one by one and every game started running very smoothly so again I started every game with in-game highest setting and still every game was running smoothly. It seems like all my problems have got vanished. Now GTX 470 is playing every game perfectly I am throwing to it with in-game highest settings. Only temp of gfx card is shooting upto 80-85 degC.

But all this does not mean that the other 1 stick of 2GB RAM is faulty because I repeated the same process using only other RAM stick and found everything working fine with no issues. Problem starts again only when I put BOTH RAM sticks back into my CPU; now PC freezes, mouse pointer drags, every game starts dragging EXCEPT Doom 3 as this game was running smoothly earlier with both the RAM sticks in CPU.

So what is going on actually ? Prior to installing GTX 470 into my CPU everything was fine with both the RAM sticks. Eventually by removing 1 stick of 2GB RAM from CPU I degraded the CPU resources for playing games and other apps but its effect is reverse with GTX 470 gfx card installed in my CPU. Does it mean that memory allocation algorithm to RAM by Nvidia's video drivers is having some fault within ? Why can't it let the games playing smoothly with more than 1 RAM sticks in CPU.

Now the biggest question is that What I'll do with my spare 2GB RAM stick (courtesy GTX 470) :pt1cable:

I hope here at Tom's Hardware members will provide the way to use both of my RAM sticks with GTX 470 installed in my CPU without any glitches in PC.

@ malmental : thank you again for your valuable time, help and support. :) I welcome your comments on this experiment and suggestions for more. If possible may please convey this problem to Nvidia for resolving the issue for GTX 470 owners.

Warm regards,
Gamer_82
India

sagnik

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
yeah, you are right gtx 470 is not best for gamig.
i have a gtx470 grapics card and i have many problems.
many games-darksiders,fifa 11,far cry 2.who does not give me best grapics.

mezal2010

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
dust-free / air-cooled.

I had been using onboard Realtek HD audio drivers and Intel's HD media accelerator drivers for media and gaming. I have installed Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 driver version 6.14.12.6658 dt. 7 Jan'11. Nvidia's HD sound drivers got installed automatically with video drivers. Now I have uninstalled Intel's HD media accelerator drivers. Before installing GTX 470 card in my CPU everything was running very fine and smoothly but now while I am typing this thread my mouse pointer and keystrokes are getting frozen for 2-5 seconds, firefox.exe CPU usage is 54%, even if I right click on any folder or file then explorer.exe usage shoots upto 60%, my PC has started behaving like it is from pre-historical era. Avira anti-virus and PC Tool Spyware scan says that PC is infection free. Earlier when I used to play Max Payne 2 using onboard memory it was a very pleasant gaming experience but now when playing with GTX 470 Max Payne 2 is getting frozen. I also tried playing FEAR, Far Cry, Doom 3 but every game got stuck after start. Screen goes black and to continue I forcibly press PC reboot with fingers crossed to see it booting again without HDD failure. I have tried "clean installation" of video drivers also but all in vain.

I need your valuable time and help to get worth of my $280 invested in GTX 470.
Thank you in advance for your support for which I've joined this forum.

Edit: Thread title corrected.[/quotemsg]

Hello guys...I think I have a solution i hope this bring some ideas for all.
1.format the windows...i use win7 ultimate.
2.install the driver from cd not update from website (i dont update).
3.install sound card the lates one from website.
4.install new nvidia driver but DONT INSTALL NET FRAMEWORK 4 IN NVIDIA DRIVER. In dont know why but it help.

Dont use monitor with only with DVI connecter use the monitor wiht hdmi only.
5.update the smart doctor v5.80
When play game dont use smart colling or outo colling only use manual and set to 100%.
Best of luck. And NEVER UPDATE WINDOS UNTIL YOU HAVE PROBLEM TRUST ME ITS HELP A LOT.

I use asus gtx 470

sandyman1200

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Hiya all from the UK

I recently got a Nvida Gforce GTX 470.

I have a Dell XPS 430, 8gb 1333 ram, Intel Core 2 Extreme 3ghz & not that it makes any differnce to the graphics card, I have an SSD to boot. My graphic's card speed has gone through the roof since installing it. As for only installing the old stock driver, the person is talking crap!

I have been a REAL PC Engineer for almost 30 years, and all I can think of is that you need to upgrade your PC, and or your PSU! Although my system can take a faster card, the NVIDIA GTX 470 does it for me. 1 complaint, get a upgrage cooler for it as it makes a bleeding racket with the stock cooler LOL

TRENDING THREADS