GTX 470 twin frozr or evga superclocked+

evganerd

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I was thinking of purchasing a gtx 470 card. I am split on msi's twin frozr and evga's superclocked+ edition. Which offers better cooling? Has anyone had any pasted experience with either card? Thanks.

Solution
I actually have both and the MSI card all by it self run super nice but I am running sli and those cards won't play nice in sli IMO. I have to put the MSI card on the bottom so it can get some air. I think that even if you had 2 MSI cards the top one would suffacate. My MSI card runs 48c idle and 65 under load in my sli. While the EVGA runs 46c idle and 78-80 under load with the EVGA being the top card. If that helps at all?

Timop

Distinguished
The EVGA uses the stock fan, and the Twin Frozr with the dual fans does have superior cooling. But one-thing though, as its an non-closed design, make sure to have adequate airflow in the case, especially when trying to do an SLI setup.

carnedude

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I actually have both and the MSI card all by it self run super nice but I am running sli and those cards won't play nice in sli IMO. I have to put the MSI card on the bottom so it can get some air. I think that even if you had 2 MSI cards the top one would suffacate. My MSI card runs 48c idle and 65 under load in my sli. While the EVGA runs 46c idle and 78-80 under load with the EVGA being the top card. If that helps at all?

Solution

evganerd

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

Thanks. Do you recommend two twin frozr cards or two superclocked+ cards in sli? This is in a case with good air flow of course.

carnedude

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
That one is tough but like I said above that with my MSI on top it gets its air flow chocked out by my EVGA. Maybe that won't be the case with both cards being MSI? Either way the MSI card is cooler and quieter than the EVGA but you lose the lifetime warranty and the step up. In the end they both are great cards so its up to you.

NCspecV81

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010

Can you by any chance upload the bios from your msi n470gtx twin frozr II?