GTX 480 HELP ME OUT

aldhogg

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
It'll boot into the initial login screen, but after putting in the password, it goes into the "Welcome" screen with the little loading circle spinning. It'll either freeze at this point (cursor frozen too) or it will go into a black screen and freeze up moments later.

I've tried all the available driver revisions for the 400 series, all of which present the same problem. Between each driver installation, I uninstalled and removed them with Driver Sweeper in safe mode. For the time being, I've reverted back to the GTX 295 which works perfectly.

After some research, I didn't find any definite answer for this specific problem. There was someone else with the same exact problem, but no solution as of yet. There was a solution for a similar problem where the boot time was really high and performance was severely degraded. That involved remapping memory values or something. But seeing as I couldn't even make it past the welcome screen, I'm thinking it's a different problem.

I doubt there's any fix for this short of nvidia fixing the issue in their next driver revision. I'm thinking this might be some obscure issue/conflict with another piece of hardware, which I would replace if I knew what it was.

Computer is NOT OC'ed

Any help please...

Specs

CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model HX3X12G1600C9 G

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920

ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Rosewill BRONZE series RBR1000-M 1000W Continuous@40°C, 80Plus Bronze Certified,Modular Cable Design,ATX12V v2.3/ EPS12V,SLI Ready,CrossFire Ready,Active PFC"Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply

EVGA 015-P3-1482-AR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) SuperClocked 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Tamz_msc

Distinguished

The GTX 295 performs like the HD 5870, but the GTX 480 is better than both.

aldhogg

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
I had another convo with EVGA, I was told to consider looking at the motherboard and power supply / amps going into the MB.

-I have found nothing conflicting or any other hardware conflicting with the video card, which really leaves to this power hungry video card.

Really starting to think its the power supply, tomorrow I hope to know for sure, as this can be a hard thing to catch unless somebody knows of a good monitor software...I know asus has some but any others?

"Then look for something to the effect of "System status, hardware monitor, pc health, etc" Your looking for the +12V. It should be running between 11.9~12.3 (Keep in mind these are bare minimum and maximums).

Next double check your ram timings and voltage are manually are set in the BIOS run memtest (memtest.org) for 4-8 passes to ensure the memory is functioning properly.

Regards,
EVGA"

Anybody know of any AMP monitoring software.