GTX 480 Issues (Black Screen/Loss of Signal)

Herk8346

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
So I'm having an issue with my GTX 480 graphics card were I lose signal and my screen goes black (monitor tells me no signal). This would happen at random times every now and then and I could never find the issue. Now it is happening at the login screen (I can hear the windows startup sound so I know its running). I followed the advice of a friend and remove my password login and it now it losses signal but reappears once my account logs in. I am at a complete loss with what the problem is.

So far I have

1. Tried a second boot of windows 7(same version with same drivers) where the issue doesn't occur
2. Removed and Reinstalled Drivers numerous times, including trying different versions of drivers
3. Run computer in Safe mode and no issue

So I'm 95% sure it isn't the card or drivers since it works fine on my other boot, but I'm not sure what I could be going wrong in my windows 7 to have this issue. This leaves me to believe its either the SSD that version of Windows is on or something is wrong with my install of Windows.

I'm planning to format the drive and reinstall windows soon but I just want to see if anyone has a solution before I resort to this

Solution
I doubt it is the SSD.

Try THIS:

1. Create a System Restore point right now.
2. Rollback to an earlier Restore Point (before the problem occurred)

Unfortunately, it sounds like something may be a little corrupted so reinstalling Windows might be a good idea.

Other:
1. Update the motherboard BIOS if not up to date
2. do a FULL PASS with Memtest www.memtest.org
I doubt it is the SSD.

Try THIS:

1. Create a System Restore point right now.
2. Rollback to an earlier Restore Point (before the problem occurred)

Unfortunately, it sounds like something may be a little corrupted so reinstalling Windows might be a good idea.

Other:
1. Update the motherboard BIOS if not up to date
2. do a FULL PASS with Memtest www.memtest.org

Solution

Herk8346

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

Sadly my 10 System Restore points all got overridden by uninstalling/reinstalling the graphics drivers (Each uninstall and reinstall used 2 Restore Points -_-). I'll try do a memtest and see if anything pops up.

I just had a similar issue on my second boot of windows 7 that didn't have any issues so I'm starting to think my GPU might just be faulty