Status
Not open for further replies.

iamnewhere

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Hey guys, im getting a GTX480 1536mb card. My question to you guys is this, does this card run at temperatures where it needs to be liquid cooled. I am new to cooling and was wondering if just standard 120mm case fans would be enough. If i run this card with stock case cooling will i run into problems?

I will be running on a 850 psu
i5 760
4 gigs of ram

this is the card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130552

Solution
hey go with the 2 gtx 460's rather then gtx 480 ....
no overheating problem will..
cost will be considerably low...
about same performance...
overclocking them will give you extra performance...
so go with it...

rocky41

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
This card indeed have heating issues but with the amount of psu you have it will just work fine and there is no need for liquid cooling my friend just go for the card and enjoy your gaming.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
If your looking at getting a 480, why dont you look into getting 2 460s in sli? They run circles around the 480 and at a cheaper price also. I got rid of my 480 and went with 2 460s and the performance im getting with them is astounding.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
agree with salamandr.

SLI solution is cheaper, faster and cooler.

its nto the heat of the GPU so much that concerns me with the 480, its the exposed heat plate radiating close to 80 degrees when gaming. to me that just not a healthy system. i would avoid it.

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

How do you mean easy to deal with?

2xGTX460 is a cheaper and more powerfull solution than a single GTX480. Also SLI is very scalable, sometimes reaching even 100%.

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

As i said, 2xGTX460 are faster (sometimes a lot faster) than a single GTX480 and even if they're the same price with a single 480, it's worth it.

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

WTF who told you that! :eek:

They are GREAT GPU's for the price! Get 2 non-OC'ed GTX460's, and if you feel the need, OC the hell out of them. They're very good overclockers too:)

welshmousepk

Distinguished
yeah, agree with everything Uknown 13 has said.

great GPUs, even at stock. two of them usually average 90 percent scaling. which puts it just behin a 5970 in terms of performance. when OCd they surpass it.
less power draw and heat than a single 480 too.

its currently the most recommended setup here at toms, and with good reason. brilliant value.

setting it up is literally a case of putting the two cards into the PCIe slots, hooking up the Power connectors and attaching an SLI bridge.

rocky41

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
hey go with the 2 gtx 460's rather then gtx 480 ....
no overheating problem will..
cost will be considerably low...
about same performance...
overclocking them will give you extra performance...
so go with it...

Solution

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
I have my 460's clocked up to 815/1630/2000 with no voltage bump and Im getting 36 MORE FPS in Metro 2033 than I was getting with my 480 overclocked at the same as the 460's. Metro can bring a rig to its knees but its running at a smooth 78fps on all high settings.

I had second thoughts getting rid of my 480 due to all the stories that you hear about microstuttering. Dont worry about that because I havent noticed it or it hasnt ruined my gaming one bit. The only problem you will run into is games that dont support sli(GTA IV comes to mind) but those games are few and far between that the pros out weigh the cons in going SLI. The card is plenty strong to run your games at max settings by itself if you run into a game that doesnt support multiple gpus.

If that doesnt convince you, then you must really have your heart set on a single 480.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
The microstuttering issue is overblown. I know a lot of people with SLI setups (mouse monkey included, i believe ;)), but none suffer from the issue. i only every hear about it from external sources, and i think its probably less than 1 percent of SLI users that experience it. otherwise i would have encountered it by now here on toms.

Correct :), I've never seen this "microstuttering" but I believe it to be a case of not enough cache on the CPU in the cases where I've seen people complain about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.