GTX 550Ti @ $115, worth it?

Bandle

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I've got an HD4850 at the moment, but I want to upgrade to something more modern. I was hoping for a card that'd be able to play modern games on mid-high setting (especially The Witcher 2, it kills my 4850) for the next 2 years or so. A store nearby has the GTX 550 Ti for $135 with a $20 rebate, but I'm not sure if that'd be a big enough upgrade.

Should I bother with the 550, or should I go for a 6770/6790 (or something else?) instead? Budget's around $100-150.

Thanks!

EDIT: The card in question is this.

Solution
You're going to want to go higher than a GTX 550Ti, the 550Ti is only one tier above the 4850, so you would get a card that is only about 10% faster than your current one, though you would get DirectX11 support. I'd say look for something at least in the performance range of the GTX 460 1GB or Radeon HD 6850. Either of those cards should be available perhaps slightly above your budget, and would likely offer you a more noticeable boost in performance. You can look at the graphics hierarchy chart here for reference. It is usually recommended that you go at least three tiers higher when looking at a GPU upgrade, as anything below that may not be worthwhile for the amount of money you would spend.

It would help to know what sort of...
You're going to want to go higher than a GTX 550Ti, the 550Ti is only one tier above the 4850, so you would get a card that is only about 10% faster than your current one, though you would get DirectX11 support. I'd say look for something at least in the performance range of the GTX 460 1GB or Radeon HD 6850. Either of those cards should be available perhaps slightly above your budget, and would likely offer you a more noticeable boost in performance. You can look at the graphics hierarchy chart here for reference. It is usually recommended that you go at least three tiers higher when looking at a GPU upgrade, as anything below that may not be worthwhile for the amount of money you would spend.

It would help to know what sort of power supply you have and what screen resolution you are using if you want a recommendation about a GPU.

Solution

Bandle

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

First, thanks for the reply!

I'm using an Antec Earthwatts 650w power supply, and I'm running at 1680x1050 at the moment. Thanks for confirming my suspicions about the 550Ti, now I just need to find the right deal on a 460 or 6850 (or a 560?).

A 560 or 6870 would be even better if you can afford one of them, they sit 3 tiers above your 4850 and will handle just about anything quite well at your screen resolution, it would certainly give you better performance in Witcher 2, though don't expect it to be able to handle ubersampling, only the really high end setups can do that. The 460 or 6850 would also work quite well.

Your power supply is just fine for any single GPU so that's a non-issue.

FYI, my HD5870 which is just slightly below a GTX560Ti in general can't max out Witcher 2 though I do play at very high settings.

There are new cards coming out from AMD and NVidia with lots of improvements and roughly 2.5 less power for the same performance.

Here are my card recommendations for now and if you wait:

1) GTX560Ti or GTX570 (budget depending)

2) AMD 7000 series (Q4 2011; get something better than GTX570 performance)

3) NVidia 600 series (Q2 2012; get something better than GTX570 performance)