Status
Not open for further replies.

Se7enn

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
As of last Friday my card started making noises when on desktop and during gaming.

So I opened up my case and checked if it was my PSU, then my card.
I stopped the fan of the card with my finger and then the noise stopped. So I decided to crank up the speed to 60% & 70% and the noise got louder.

It was about over a month since I last cleaned it with an air compressed can and so I did that this past weekend.
The noise died out a bit after that, it would come back here and there but now it's back, not wanting to go away.

So is the problem my card or the fan? What's the issue? Is there Something I can do about it?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
If the noise stopped when you stopped the fan, then the fan is the problem. It could be that the fan is caked with dust, and some dust has gotten into the mechanism and is causing the noise, dusting out the card might help. It could also be that you may have to oil the bearings on the fan. The fan may also just be dying, in which case you'll have to look into replacing it, or RMAing the card if it is still under warranty.
If the noise stopped when you stopped the fan, then the fan is the problem. It could be that the fan is caked with dust, and some dust has gotten into the mechanism and is causing the noise, dusting out the card might help. It could also be that you may have to oil the bearings on the fan. The fan may also just be dying, in which case you'll have to look into replacing it, or RMAing the card if it is still under warranty.

Solution

Se7enn

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Well I've had the card since March of this year. Could it die out that quickly?

I guess I'll just try dusting it out first before considering to RMA it.

Se7enn

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Alright, I guess that makes sense.

Something strange just happened, the noise is completely gone.
I was replying to you on my phone while I was in garage working on my car so I was away from my PC.

I checked to see if the fan had stopped working as you have said it may be dying. I bumped up the fan speed to 70%, it still works. Any idea why it went away? It's not I want it to come back, just curious lol

Fan noise issues can be intermittent. It could be that the fan has hit a particular speed where it won't make the noise, ie. at certain speeds the fan vibrates, but when it hits a certain RPM the speed is high enough to even it out. It could be that if there was dust in there disrupting the bearing, it fell out, or got forced into a spot where it isn't disrupting the fan's mechanics.

Odds are the noise is going to come back at some point, you'll just have to keep an eye on it. If the problem persists you may want to RMA the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS