GTX 560 Ti overclocking help

Drugoli

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Hi, I've been trying to overclock my 560 Ti for about 4:30 hours now. Using Afterburner to change clocks, Kombustor for bench marking and FurMark to test it's stability.
My stock settings are:
Core clock: 822 MHz
Shader clock: 1645 MHz
Memory clock: 2004 MHz

So I've tried slowly increasing each one, testing the maximum I can do without making my computer crash when I run FurMark for 2 minutes. I found out that these settings:
Core clock: 922 MHz
Shader clock: 1844 MHz
Memory clock: 2154 MHz
can run Furmark for 5 minutes without anything going wrong. (1680x1050 fullscreen test) But When I then try to test it in a game, Crysis 2 (Stock settings run the game just fine at 47 FPS at average), the graphics drivers crash after about 2 minutes of gameplay.
Does anyone know why this happens, are my overclock settings too high? Because it seems weird to me that FurMark can run no problem, but Crysis 2 makes it crash.
I also tried it with Battlefield 3, although with a slightly higher overclock, here it ran for about 3 minutes before it crashed.

cyansnow

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Take the clock down 22mhz and see what happens. Mine run at 950 mhz with a mem clock of 2150 stable, anything over crashes just like what happens with you, so you should probably take that clock down a bit.

Drugoli

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

I can't seem to find anything in the NVIDIA Control Panel that has anything to do with overclocking, and I'm running the newest version.
I'll try turning down the clockspeed then, see if that works.

Drugoli

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

Is it worth it overclocking when I only get about 80 MHz extra on the core, 200 MHz on the shader and 120 MHz on the memory?

Here is some more info for you: http://forum.overclock3d.net/index.php?/topic/14-nvidia-overclocking-tools/

I use EVGA Precision; works well and is very convenient. (May not work on non-EVGA cards).

For Overclocking your GPU you start to bump up Core, Memory, Shader clocks by low value, say (50 MHz) then you test your OC stability (play games and make load on GPU)
If no problems happen (crashes,freezes, BSODs) then you're fine and you can bump those a little bit higher.
Repeat it many times until you reach the limits of your OC (until you crash or you get BSOD)

Note 1: Check temperatures after each OC you do.
Note 2: Don't mess up with voltages as long as you're stable. If you're unstable bump up voltages a little bit high but i recommend you to ask first.

Drugoli

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

That is what I've been doing, and I found out that 942 MHz is just below the maximum I can go on the core clock, without making my drivers crash. (After 2 minutes of FurMark burn-in test) For the memory, it seems like I could get that to 2304 MHz, and it still wouldn't crash anything. (Core and shader clocks where on stock).

But when I put them together, it was unstable with FurMark until I put things down to 942 core clock and 2104 memory clock. But when I did tests in games with that setting, the drivers would crash in under 5 minutes.

I guess doing 2 minutes of FurMark just isn't a good enough stabillity test :p

In terms of temperatures, I never seem to get above 75 degrees Celsius with in game scenarios. With FurMark burn-in test I got to a maximum of 87 degrees, but that is under 100% load for 2 or more minutes.

Drugoli

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

I have a Gainward GeForce GTX 560 Ti, and I believe it's the 384 or so core version.
I just tried running Crysis 2 at:
Voltage: 1.012 V
Core clock: 922 MHz
Shader clock: 1844 MHz
Memory clock: 2104 MHz
Ran the game just fine for about 3 minutes, but then the drivers stopped working and had to be restarted. The highest temps I got were 74 degrees Celsius.

Download MSI Afterburner an apply these settings and see how it goes;
Volt: 1075
Core: 950
Shader: 1901
Memory: 2100

That was the safe OC for a lot of users and becnhes.
Bump up fan speed to 60% to provide a proper cooling

Drugoli

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

(I've been using Afterburner from the start) With that setting I was able to get a stable overclock, played Crysis 2 for about 8 minutes without problems. And I got an average FPS boost of about 4. (Using a 2 minute long Fraps benchmark)
Temperature wise I was at (with my own custom fan control from Afterburner) 69-72 degrees celsius. Should I try and increase some of the clock values, and see if I can get it even higher?

Drugoli

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

Fair enough.
I just did another test with BF3, here I got a 8 FPS improvement. (On the average FPS)
This overclock setting seems to be pretty close to the best that I can get out of my GPU, thanks for helping! :D

mrclownface

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

hi there,i was just looking over this thread coz i have a gainward 560ti golden sample that i would like to overclock,is it safe for me to go straight to msi afterburner and apply these settings you listed above,can it damage my card?,if so,can i run the fan on auto mode,coz when i run it on 60% on manuel mode its quite noisey,..thank you

Drugoli

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
hi there,i was just looking over this thread coz i have a gainward 560ti golden sample that i would like to overclock,is it safe for me to go straight to msi afterburner and apply these settings you listed above,can it damage my card?,if so,can i run the fan on auto mode,coz when i run it on 60% on manuel mode its quite noisey,..thank you
Well I'm able to run these settings very stable. I could run BF3 for over 30mins without any problems at all, and I noticed in my performance tests, that I did gain a little bit of performance. You do need to remember though, that all cards are different. You might not be able to get the clocks as high as this or maybe you can get them even higher. You just have to test it out.

As far as I know, it is VERY difficult to damage a GPU by overclocking. Only if you go ALL CRAZY and apply like a 1500MHz core clock and a voltage of 1200V can you break it. You do need to keep a close eye on your temperatures when you're testing the overclock. The worst that can happen with testing the overclock that is shown above, is that your drivers crash. Its happened to me about 15 times while I tried to find a decent and stable overclock.

In terms of the fan, I made a new fan control setting through AfterBurner, I found that having it set to stock auto was not enough to keep it nicely cooled. (My card got to 80 degrees with stock fan controller, with my custom it never gets above 73) I think you at least need to have the fan at 60% when your card gets to 70 degrees Celsius. You can fiddle around with that yourself.

Sorry for the long response! :D

mrclownface

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

thanks for the reply,i did some testing today and found my card had heat and stability problems when overclocked,it seems quite happy at stock settings,i also found increasing the fan speed helped to keep a nice temp while gaming,with minimal noise increase...thanks again

Drugoli

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

Well, I'm still new to the forums. So if you know how I can close the thread, please tell me. Cause you have given me all of the answers I was looking for :)

The first step is for the original poster to select the "Best Answer" - after that happens, a moderator will close the thread.