GTX 560 Ti UnderVolting Issues

Moti030

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
I have the Founders Edition of the GTX 560 Ti, and it gets ridiculously hot - Had to download Afterburner and ramp up the fan to 100% just to keep the card below 80C at stock speeds.

I've already:
-Cleaned the whole thing.
-Replaced Thermal Paste.
-Re-did thermal Pads.
-Put an intake fan to blow air directly on it.
-ziptied two stronger fans to the card instead of the original one.
While all of those (combined) did help to some degree, I want to get decent temps without ramping my fans up to scream like a jet engine.

I've opened up Afterburner again - to find the core Voltage and power limit slider transparent and unmovable.
I have checked "Unlock Voltage Control" in the settings - nothing. Lowering core and memory clock to absolute minimum (without touching voltage) yields negligible thermal improvements.

I don't care for loss in performance. I just want to get the temps down.

Help?

Solution
Fermi runs hot, and nVidia said back then that up to 105C is A-OK with them, so the question is why isn't that good enough for you?

I've had a card that idles at 72C for more than 10 years and it still works perfectly. GPUs can run that hot because they're not running at 4GHz like CPUs.

At this point it is better to apply the cost of a heatsink toward a more efficient card. I normally buy Keplers for $5 but just got a Maxwell card for that price--it's both faster than your Fermi and uses 100w less power!

If you insist though, NiBiTor v6.06 works on Fermi and allows you to edit the default clocks, voltages and fan curve saved in the vBIOS.
Fermi runs hot, and nVidia said back then that up to 105C is A-OK with them, so the question is why isn't that good enough for you?

I've had a card that idles at 72C for more than 10 years and it still works perfectly. GPUs can run that hot because they're not running at 4GHz like CPUs.

At this point it is better to apply the cost of a heatsink toward a more efficient card. I normally buy Keplers for $5 but just got a Maxwell card for that price--it's both faster than your Fermi and uses 100w less power!

If you insist though, NiBiTor v6.06 works on Fermi and allows you to edit the default clocks, voltages and fan curve saved in the vBIOS.

Solution

Moti030

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013

A maxwell, as in GTX 9xx, For 5 Dollars!? Holy shit, Where'd you get a deal like THAT?

Because I'm giving this PC to my friend who lives in a warmer environment. Plus, I don't want the fan dying out too quickly. Knowing him, he's going to use this card for a while.

I'll try, thanks!

TRENDING THREADS