[SOLVED] GTX 570 Graphics Card Crashing Computer

Jan 22, 2019
This is my first time building my own rig, please let me know any other information I can provide!

I recently got a new Motherboard and Graphics Card from my brother to update my computer. Everything seems to be going great, until I try to install the GPU.

At first I had the GPU connected to the Mobo and PSU, but I was unable to get to the initial boot screen to load my OS (Windows 10 from DVD). It wouldn't send a signal to the monitor regardless if the HDMI was plugged into the Mobo or the GPU. So I disconnected the GPU from the PSU but left it in the Mobo. Computer was able to boot correctly, load the OS, and I was able to update all the Mobo drivers. I ran it through a couple restarts to make sure it was working then turned the computer off and plugged back in both 6 pin power connectors to the GPU.

Boot takes forever...10 min before I get to the windows login screen (it skips over any other startup screens) and only sends a signal if the HDMI is in the Mobo. Then after about 3 min it starts to freeze (cursor is laggy, unable to use the keyboard) and after about 5 min it freezes completely (clock no longer changes, no cursor visable, keyboard commands do nothing).

I have to hard reboot. If I don't have it connected to the PSU, my computer works fine again.

I've tried about a million things to get it to work. Read many Tom's Hardware questions and still can't make it work. I've tried 3 separate installs and wiped and removed all partitions from my hard drive to ensure a clean install of Windows 10. I'm thinking something happened to it to cause it to be corrupted, but I just want to be sure before I go and buy a new GPU.

Specs
Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-268XP-UD3P rev 1.0
GPU:
Nvidia EVGA GTX570HD
PSU:
Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W

Solution
I would assemble the computer with no videocard installed. Just use the motherboard graphics. Install Windows. Reboot to your desktop. Download all 'chipset' drivers Gigabyte offers on their support page for that motherboard. Download and install all Windows updates, and download the latest Nvidia driver for that card. Once Windows is completely up to date, shut down and install the card, connecting the power connectors to it. Boot to desktop and install the drivers for the card.

The idea is to rule out the card for now. You do that by setting up the computer without the card in it. That card is very power hungry, so when you use the card and it doesn't work it could be the card or the power supply. If the computer won't work even just...
I would assemble the computer with no videocard installed. Just use the motherboard graphics. Install Windows. Reboot to your desktop. Download all 'chipset' drivers Gigabyte offers on their support page for that motherboard. Download and install all Windows updates, and download the latest Nvidia driver for that card. Once Windows is completely up to date, shut down and install the card, connecting the power connectors to it. Boot to desktop and install the drivers for the card.

The idea is to rule out the card for now. You do that by setting up the computer without the card in it. That card is very power hungry, so when you use the card and it doesn't work it could be the card or the power supply. If the computer won't work even just using the motherboard graphics then that means you might have a problem with the motherboard itself.

I assume you're not using an adapter to connect the HDMI to the monitor.

Solution
Jan 22, 2019

I was able to install Windows and the motherboard drivers, as well as update them all. I downloaded the application for the Nvidia driver, but when I launch it it says compatible graphics card not found since it's not plugged in.
I shut down, put the card in and plug the power connectors, but it's the same issue of moving so slowly and then freezing about 10 min in.

On my second try (I'm on my 3rd installation attempt now) with this I did get the driver installation to work for a little bit but once 10 min past it froze again. I left it for 45 min hoping it just needed a second but no luck. I had to reboot and ended up going through the entire process again (taking all hardware components out, reinstalling windows, clearing the HD, and reinstalling mobo drivers)

The HDMI is plugged into the Mobo so on board graphics are working. It does not work when plugged into the graphics card.

I'm not using any adapter, the HDMI is plugged directly from my monitor to the Mobo.