GTX 580 Pc restarts on boot everytime but is fine in bios.

elderMat7

Honorable
Feb 4, 2018
Hi, so I found a cheap gtx 580 second hand . The owner states that the pc restarts right before it gets into windows. Im wondering if its an easy fix and if I should buy it to make some profit. Also he states that the pc works just fine while its in bios.

Solution
Possibly, easiest way to test would be to try it in another computer with an adequate power supply. But I agree, probably card death. The basic VESA graphics are working to load the BIOS, but loading the driver or initializing the device is causing the system to not boot.

Adapters should be avoided for powering GPUs, particularly one as power hungry as a GTX580.

Upgrading to a more power efficient card would be a good idea in general. GTX1050Ti is about a direct replacement, but a used GTX960/GTX670/R9-280/R9-285 etc is also good.

Lutfij

Titan
Often times the GPU exhibiting an issue of that sort is tell tale that it's kicked the bucket. I would advise against it. To add, how much does it cost? You could prop it up on your shelf if it's something unique like a Galaxy HOF card?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Possibly, easiest way to test would be to try it in another computer with an adequate power supply. But I agree, probably card death. The basic VESA graphics are working to load the BIOS, but loading the driver or initializing the device is causing the system to not boot.

Adapters should be avoided for powering GPUs, particularly one as power hungry as a GTX580.

Upgrading to a more power efficient card would be a good idea in general. GTX1050Ti is about a direct replacement, but a used GTX960/GTX670/R9-280/R9-285 etc is also good.

Solution

mgallo848

Commendable

I agree with everything you said except for the 1050ti being a direct replacement. An RX 580 will stomp all over the 1050ti. (not that the 1050ti is a bad card). A GTX 1060 is more comparable to an RX 580.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

I know it is a tad confusing, but Nvidia released a card called the GTX 580. The RX580 is a much faster card indeed and far newer, but also isn't worth 25$. I think I sold my GTX 580 for $60 each like three years ago.

mgallo848

Commendable

Lol, my fault. The entire time my brain was thinking "RX 580" when the OP was referring to "GTX 580". My niece still runs a GTX 580 in her PC.