[SOLVED] GTX 580 Replacment Help?

KruelEnergy

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
My motherboard only has PCI Express 2.0 slots. My PNY GTX 580 video card just blew up. What would be my best option: Should I go with a single RTX card PCI Express 3.0, Purchase two GTX 1060 or 1070’s?
My system is pretty old.
Is it worth the money, will I still be able to play the latest games?
Motherboard: GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
Intel Core I7 2700K

Solution
I wouldn't bother with nvme until you can upgrade the motherboard for native support. IO sequential reads are quick enough on sata 3 6gbs ssds which you have 4 sata slots for, 2 on main z68 chipset and 2 by Marvell.

It is possible to get nvme running on your board with that adapter but there are some things to be aware of.

1. Booting not possible unless bios is modified to include the modules.

2. All pcie slots are gen 2. So if you used the small pcie slot that is 1x then the transfer rate will be around the speed of a normal sata3 drive ~500MBs. This 1x slot at the top may be awkward getting to if have a gpu next to it or could move gpu to the 2nd 16x slot.

3. It may be possible to use one of the 8x longer slots for an 4x nvme...

KruelEnergy

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Thank you everyone.
My i7 is currently clocked at 4.40 and my Ram is clocked to 1600, ( Its capable of 1800) Every time I go higher than 1600 it crashes.
I bought an GTX 1050ti for $140 (this card is so tiny compared to my 580) The 1060 it offers 30% more performance but it is in the $270 range. Should I take the 1050ti back?
My next project is this. My hard drives are over 10 years old.
My next Question:

Will my GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 (1.0) Support PCIE Gen 3 for an M.2 Drive?

I want to run a Dual Pcie M.2 Adapter with two 1TB NVMe Drives. Will this motherboard support speeds faster than Sata 3 or 600mbps on the PCIE slot?

I want to clone my primary (OS) drive to the NVMe drive.

Why not buy a RX570 4GB that's 30-40% faster than a 1050Ti and $110-$120?

Can systems of that area boot from a PCIe NVMe adapter?
I wouldn't recommend NVMe for secondary/ mass storage. Not a good $/GB and you won't see any speed difference from SATA.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't bother with nvme until you can upgrade the motherboard for native support. IO sequential reads are quick enough on sata 3 6gbs ssds which you have 4 sata slots for, 2 on main z68 chipset and 2 by Marvell.

It is possible to get nvme running on your board with that adapter but there are some things to be aware of.

1. Booting not possible unless bios is modified to include the modules.

2. All pcie slots are gen 2. So if you used the small pcie slot that is 1x then the transfer rate will be around the speed of a normal sata3 drive ~500MBs. This 1x slot at the top may be awkward getting to if have a gpu next to it or could move gpu to the 2nd 16x slot.

3. It may be possible to use one of the 8x longer slots for an 4x nvme adapter (only for storage without modding bios) which at pcie gen 2 speeds at 4x may see around 1500MB/s ~ give or take.

https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2531123&p=1#targetText=PCIE 2.0 X4 has 2000,high performance PCIE NVME SSD?

Im not 100% on facts here, it's just what I've gathered looking around trying to find out if it's worth you going nvme instead of sata. Imho, if just gaming and not needing extreme transfer rates for data transfer then go sata.

Last edited:
Reactions: KruelEnergy
Solution

TRENDING THREADS