GTX 580 unable to overclock??

edhahaha

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Hi, I recently purchase the gtx580 amp! from zotac (ZT-50102-10P), and I changed the reference cooler to a Accelero XTREME Plus II, the temperature is GREAT, but when I wanted to tweak around the card, I can overclock the card run it in burn in tests with zero artifacts, but when I try to run the oc in 3dmark 11, it crashes back to desktop and saying something like video driver failed to respond and has successfully recovered. So I am wonder what could the reason be and what should I do? The video driver is most current from nvdia main site. And I tried oc with afterburner or other softwares.

Chirag Borawake

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
try overclocking from Zotac Firestorm, a software which you get with the drivers disc in the box itself. I think it'll help, because its easier to overclock using this, and you can control your fan speeds and temperature too.

edhahaha

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I tried afterburner and other gpu oc tools, they all didn't work out, so I think the tool that I use isn't the main problem here, but I will give it a try, Thanks.

edhahaha

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
umm, I even tried to use the firestorm and samething happens, I get the "nvidia kernel mode driver stopped working and has recovered" message, so does that mean my card is screwed and can't be oc at all?

if your card can run games without any problem that's mean your card is perfectly fine. overclocking is not a guaranteed part included in the package when you buy a card.

edhahaha

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Ya,,, it runs perfectly fine with games, and the temps don't go above 54c after 2 hours of gaming. too bad got a card that doesn't oc... even though I spent so much on the after market cooler...its like when I oc it and burn it with stress test, its fine no crash, but when I run 3dmark 11 it crashes... could future driver solve this problem? maybe?

Possibly but unlikely, have you tried playing any actual games with the card OC'd?

edhahaha

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I m using ax 750 gold professional from corsair, which should be fine for single 580, this is just ridiculus, my previous evga reference 570 oc'ed like crazy without any problem, but this one I can't even do anything. =(

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Even in the performance PC of September, toms hardware wasn't able to do a successful overclock with a pair of gtx 580 that were non overclocked cards, In there I made a comment about it because the specs are not the same as before, but looks like no one knows something about it.

I got 2 evga GTX580 on January 16 2011, both of them are non overclocked, and I can raise both of them til 850 Mhz without problems.

edhahaha

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
all vrm and voltage regulators are covered with heatsinks. so shouldn't be a big problem. plus it voids the warranty already when i unpack everything from the reference cooler isn't it?

If they do not ask do not tell simple as that. Entire governments are run by that motto. As for the power vrm it takes more than what most think to make things work but rma this card but one simple question. What is the voltage on the gpu? I have found that some Zotac cards that are pre overclocked have high stock core voltage and don't oc as well as other cards. I found this to be true with their gtx 560 ti amp edition.

TRENDING THREADS