GTX 580 which port to use

magicanthony

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I ordered the EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) and a Dell UltraSharp U3011 monitor. The GTX 580 has two DVI-I ports and one mini-HDMI port. The monitor has two HDMI, two DVI-D, one DP and one VGA.

Is it best to hook the monitor to the PCI using HDMI or DVI, or does it not mattery? Will they both allow for the sam maximum resolution of the monitor?

I apologize if this is a silly question or if it has already been answered.

Thank you.

magicanthony

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

Oh ok. Thank you. I won't need sound as I have a dedicated sound card for that. But I will use HDMI connection.

Thanks.

There are Two Dual Link DVI-I and a Mini HDMI port on the GTX 580.

If you're going to be using the DVI port you will definitely require a DVI Dual Link cable otherwise you will be limited to a maximum resolution of 1280 x 800 with a Single Link DVI cable.

magicanthony

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Not sure why microterf says my card doesn't have dual link. Below are what the specs say:

GTX 580:
One mini HDMI
Two Dual Link DVI-I HDCP Capable Connectors
Max Resolution 2560 x 1600

Dell UltraSharp U3011
One Display Port
Two HDMI 1.3 connectors
Two DVI-D Dual Link connectors
Max Resolution 2560 x 1600

The monitor came with a VGA, DVI and Display Port cable. I believe the cable is dual link. The cable does fit in both the monitor DVI sockets and the GTX-580 socket. So I assume if I use this DVI cable to connect both I should be able to use monitor at maximum resolution?

Here is a quick pic I put together:

http://img703.imageshack.us/f/dviconnections.jpg

magicanthony

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

Oh ok, my apologies. Thank you.

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

My fault, not very good at using commas to separate statements. :)
Do you have the stuff yet, hook it up? I was about to cry when I got my U3011, I hooked it up, got a bunch of flashing pixels all over. I thought I was gonna have to RMA
it, but it turned out to be the DVI cable. It was just bad. Luckily when I ordered my 3008wfp I ordered a second Dual Link DVI cable because I wasn't sure if it came with one or not. When I hooked that one up, it worked perfectly, you should love it.

magicanthony

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I have all the parts for my new build but have not had a chance to build it yet. Probably won't build for another week. I did hook up the monitor to my existing computer with the DVI cable to test it and it worked fine (although the video card could not bet set at the maximum resolution of the monitor). But the monitor looked great with no dead pixels, etc. Below are my specs:

--Video Editing Software: Adobe Creative Suite 5 (CS5) Production Premium
--Monitor: - Dell UltraSharp U3011 30-inch Widescreen (w/ PremierColor)
--Case: - COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
--Motherboard: MSI Big Bang-XPower LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
--CPU: - Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor
--CPU Cooler: - Liquid Cooler - CoolIT Systems VAN-R120 Vantage A.L.C. CPU Cooler
--Power Supply: - CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W ATX12V v2.31 Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Modular Power Supply
--Sound Card: - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface
--Video Card: - EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
--Memory: - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
--Memory Cooler: - G.SKILL FTB-3500C5-D Fans
--1st Hard Drive: - Intel X25-E Extreme 64GB SATA II SLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD)
--2nd Hard Drive - Intel X25-E Extreme 64GB SATA II SLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD)
--3rd Hard Drive: - Western Digital VelociRaptor 600GB 10000 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
--4th Hard Drive: -Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
--1st Optical Drive: - LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Support
--2nd Optical Drive: - LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Support
--Keyboard/Mouse: - Logitech MX 5500 Revolution Black Bluetooth Cordless Desktop Standard keyboard & Mouse Kit
--Card Reader: Nippon Labs Delux 3.5" Internal All In One Card Reader/Writer with USB2.0 & eSATA Ports
--Speakers: - Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 surround speakers
--Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 2.0 M Effective Pixels USB 2.0 WebCam

notty22

Distinguished

Sorry, let him be the judge of his money and hobby.

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

I'm going to just assume that was written in a drunken bitter rage...

Remember a couple things. I don't care if anyone here has their MCSE, CCNA, A+, or whatever. The forums are here to get help and answer others questions.
We all started somewhere. There is no reason to flame someone for asking a question. If you don't like the question, or refuse to answer even if you can, fine. Just don't post then...

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

btw, I only use my computer to play solitaire and check my e-mail. ;)

magicanthony

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Yes I will be using my computer to play solitaire as well. I just wanted to make sure solitaire was really fast.

I'm not rich, and I'm not a kid. Just been saving a long time and like to get the best I can so it lasts the longest. I thought things out and have resons for all the parts I chose. Maybe I didn't make the best or most cost effective choices but I am satisfied with the decisions I made. I did research and posted questions on other forums for help. I was just a little confused about single and dual link DVI and the resolution that HDMI provides. I did compare specs and resolution of the video card and monitor to make sure they matched so I was pretty sure they were compatible. But that doesn't mean I may get confused at some things or ask a silly question sometime. Thanks for the help.