[SOLVED] Gtx 650 fps drops after a while

Jul 11, 2020
Hi, i recently got a new pc with an I3 540, Gtx 650 1GB, 8GB RAM and a PSU of 400 watts, the thing is that when im playing any game for like 10 minutes my fps drops so much! before that i get 60 frames stable but 10 min later i get 20-30 fps and thats it! it doesnt get over that, i dont know if it has something to do with my PSU or is it bottlenecking? i simply dont know please if someone know what the problem is help me out

Solution
over 90 degrees!

almost certainly thermal throttling

Yep - what it was expected the results would show. GPUs work normally in temperatures below 80 degrees, and bearing in mind what is the description of the issue, the bottlenecking and the horsepower of the GPU are not really among the things we have to think about right now. Psu most likely doesn't have problems and the problem has to be in the internal cooling of the GPU itself - either problem with the fans, or even worse. MSI Afterburner has some options for regulation, though.

What you can try next, is to run things with a system (mobo, gpu, etc) out of the case - like on 4 pieces of styrofoam , or at least to run it in semi-open case, to eliminate the...
Jul 11, 2020
Get MSI Afterburner and watch the temperatures and the other things.
Get Novabench and run tests to see the GPU, CPU and ram performance.
bro i just used riva tuner thing in assassins creed and my CPU temperatures are over 90 degrees! and GPU usage is to 26% and my CPU usage is almost 80% or 90%, i think the temperature problems is because my case does not have like any exit for the air to go. also i have to try novabench

now i was trying to play Team Fortress 2 and my gpu usage was 6% to 8% but after like 10 min it goes to 3% or 5%, i mean TF2 is a cpu dependant game but it just drops to 20 fps when the 3% happens and it doesnt go up

aside from temperature problems for sure i think is bottlenecking

Thanks for replying

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020
i mean ur fps drops are because you have a 650. the 650 is not meant for gaming at all
The first thing to notice is that some are “GT” cards, and some are “GTX”. The “GT” label is for lower-end cards, which are not meant to handle powerful games, but are more suited for office work and light graphics. GTX cards are more powerful, and aimed generally at gaming-oriented machines.

Jun 27, 2020
The first thing to notice is that some are “GT” cards, and some are “GTX”. The “GT” label is for lower-end cards, which are not meant to handle powerful games, but are more suited for office work and light graphics. GTX cards are more powerful, and aimed generally at gaming-oriented machines.
Yes that is true but it doesnt change the fact that its a very and i mean very low end gpu it will not perform well in any game

DSzymborski

Titan

Well, were. This was an entry-level gaming card for 2012 and it's 2020. Though that's not the source of the issue here, so it's not relevant whether this is a gaming card or not! The post mentioning the 650 as the source of the FPS drops was an unhelpful one. Nor is there any real bottlenecking concern; both the GPU and CPU are entry-level parts from a long time ago and are well-matched.

The issue is almost certainly thermal throttling and it's pointless to look for further issues without resolving the temperature issue. Unless you're literally running your PC under a pile of blankets, it's extremely unlikely that it's just a case airflow problem. Most likely it's an improper cooler installation. There's no use diagnosing further until you fix this issue. You may have other issues (the mystery PSU is always a concern, but almost certainly not this problem) but take care of this first.

over 90 degrees!

almost certainly thermal throttling

Yep - what it was expected the results would show. GPUs work normally in temperatures below 80 degrees, and bearing in mind what is the description of the issue, the bottlenecking and the horsepower of the GPU are not really among the things we have to think about right now. Psu most likely doesn't have problems and the problem has to be in the internal cooling of the GPU itself - either problem with the fans, or even worse. MSI Afterburner has some options for regulation, though.

What you can try next, is to run things with a system (mobo, gpu, etc) out of the case - like on 4 pieces of styrofoam , or at least to run it in semi-open case, to eliminate the thoughts of the PC case causing the heat. You can also lower the game settings while measuring the temperatures. However, video cards normally just have constant low fps like 9-23 and go up to 80 °C if they cannot handle the video materials, so things are pointing to another problem.

Last edited:
Solution