Gtx 660 97%+ GPU usage while idle (PhysX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crjcook

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2012
Been having trouble running a few games. I figured out the reason why.
I opened Asus GPU Tweak to see if OCing it would help the cause, when I noticed my GPU usage over 97% while idle. I had read a forum post somewhere about gpu usage and a "faulty svchost.exe" so I took a stab in the dark and ended the process of an svchost.exe that was using 25% of my CPU. Immediately my GPU dropped down to 0% usage. Great. Now all of my games run perfectly on the maximum settings when, in some cases, they'd been struggling on very low settings. However, one game doesn't run at all anymore. The reason this game won't run is because it requires PhysX. I restarted my computer and the game ran. I ended the process like before and the game crashed. I tried to run the game; -error- it won't run without PhysX.

So basically I figured out that PhysX is eating 25% of my CPU and 98% of my GPU while idle.
Is this normal???
How to fix this??
I tried uninstalling PhysX and reinstalling the latest version from their website but this did nothing as you can probably guess.
The game requiring PhysX is "APB Reloaded", which is notoriously poorly coded. However other games like WoW, DotA 2 and Path of Exile were having difficulty running (WoW would run fine at low-medium settings. Path of Exile would have noticeable frame issues at the lowest settings) and disabling the PhysX svchost.exe would run all of these games at their maximum settings.

I'm getting myself very confused now... I clicked "go to services" and there was nothing highlighted. I clicked Properties (on the svchost.exe process) and it says filepath: C:\Users\~\AppData\Roaming\Adobe32

WTF? THAT'S NOT PHYSX!!!
HELP!
I'M A NOOB GETTING PWNED BY THE LAWS OF PHYSX!!! WHO GOVERNS THEM>???

Solution

+1

Search for C:\Users\~\AppData\Roaming\Adobe32 on google, point directly to trojan.bitminer

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=C%3A%5CUsers%5C~%5CAppData%5CRoaming%5CAdobe32+

You computer is mining bitcoins (a virtual currency) for some hackers...

Its is not using directly PhysX but it's using CUDA, which is the programming language for Nvidia card. PhysX use CUDA and it's probably why your computer is showing that. This trojan use CUDA to accelerate the bitcoin mining using your GPU

w1zz4

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

+1

Search for C:\Users\~\AppData\Roaming\Adobe32 on google, point directly to trojan.bitminer

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=C%3A%5CUsers%5C~%5CAppData%5CRoaming%5CAdobe32+

You computer is mining bitcoins (a virtual currency) for some hackers...

Its is not using directly PhysX but it's using CUDA, which is the programming language for Nvidia card. PhysX use CUDA and it's probably why your computer is showing that. This trojan use CUDA to accelerate the bitcoin mining using your GPU

Solution

crjcook

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2012
Hell yeah. Malware Bytes removed it with perfect success at first glance.
Restarted and there's no bogus svchost.exe running, no idle CPU usage, and no GPU usage at all either!

Wondering how that got past MSE, since I ran a scan yesterday.
Do I want to know the effect this might have had on my computer and my own security???

w1zz4

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

Mine too.

In fact I have MSE too, but I scheduled Malwarebytes and Spybot scan during the night to correct MSE bad behaviours...

Status
Not open for further replies.