GTX 660 (non ti) or Radeon 7870 (same price)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashharun

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hi all,

I want to upgrade my graphic card next week and i'm stuck when it comes to choose between 7870 and 660 (non ti). Their price are similar, around $240. But 7870 with that price use reference cooler and the 660 use non reference cooler and use two fan. Please help me to choose what is better card between them.. And, if i choose one from them, is there are really noticeable performance difference for some games? In example i choose 660, and in some games the 7870 produce 60fps and 660 produce 30fps, can it happen? Thanks for helping.

Solution
I would say its just fine. I mean I don't really like reference coolers but the newer cards run cooler and if you can deal with the noise of a reference cooler which isn't much then I'd say do it. The 7870 is a better card the 660.

Tom Burnqest

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

It's perfectly fine. It was factory designed and engineered by AMD to work adequately efficient to keep the GPU and card within factory spec tolerances. As well noise is not an issue as the reference 7870 is a quite card.

ashharun

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
But if overclock are one thing that i consider before buying, are 7870 with reference cooler still be better option? Because from what i knew card with reference cooler cannot be overclocked too much..

I would say its just fine. I mean I don't really like reference coolers but the newer cards run cooler and if you can deal with the noise of a reference cooler which isn't much then I'd say do it. The 7870 is a better card the 660.

Solution

ashharun

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

How about overclocking? Man, sorry if i ask too much, just want to make sure i choose the best one :(

Tom Burnqest

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

The reference 7870 OCs like a boss.

I would say it all depends it depends on the chip how hot it runs that is something you would have to look at once you had the card you know? And it would depend on your current cooling situation in your case and what your power supply is capable of doing for you as you would be using more power.

that depends on weather you regard a gpu with higher average FPS as better, or a gpu with smoother gameplay with less stuttering better. The 7870 and 660 are on par pretty much when it comes to smooth gameplay.
here, read some reviews from this site that will change your mind on how cards are benchmarked, and how having a higher average fps in a benchmark, doesnt equate to smoother gameplay.
http://techreport.com/review/23527/review-nvidia-geforce-gtx-660-graphics-card/11

Tom Burnqest

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

Another sore nvidia loser mad because AMD is on top again.

I would say that different situations call for different solutions I don't think its wise to show bias in a argument because when you do you kind of lose your validity. AMD cards are great and are a better option at certain price points and so are Nvidia cards. My 670 is no chump and by the same token neither is a 7970 but I don't walk down the street claiming to say my card is better then theirs it fits my needs more so then AMD's solution. This thread has been solved the man ended up with the better performing card the added benchmark of a companies response time isn't at play here and AMD is working to close the gap in that area so we can just all take a deep breath and move on :p

timil

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

The 7870 runs rings around the 660 non-ti there's nothing to it... So I kinda have to agree with you.

ashharun

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

I always visit techreport for their benchmarking that use frame latency and found 7870 vs gtx 660 didn't have big gap one each other in frame latency, so i think i'm fine. But still, your post made me think again, phew :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.