GTX 660 problem, PC won't turn on

danicorpse

Reputable
May 30, 2014
I have a problem with my GFX card. I've had this setup for 2 years now and not had a problem.

I took out the card to give the MOBO etc a clean, after putting it back in, I tried to turn on the PC, the CPU fan spun for a second, maybe less, then nothing happened.

I took out the GFX card, PC still wouldn't turn on, so I unplugged the PSU from the mains, waited a moment, plugged it back in and the PC booted.

Then I turned the PC back off, seated the GFX card into the PCI slot, but DIDN'T plug in the 6 pin connector to the PSU, back to square one, PC won't boot.

At first I thought it was the card, then thought maybe the PSU, but now I don't have a clue. I don't understand why just seating the card into the PCIe slot, would cause this.

I'm at a loss here, don't have another GFX card or PSU to try with. Can anyone give me some advice?

danicorpse

Reputable
May 30, 2014
Even when I take out the card, unplug the PSU from the mains and plug it back in, it takes about a minute before I can turn it on, the power button does nothing in that time

danicorpse

Reputable
May 30, 2014
To see if it was the card causing the PC not to boot. I unplugged the six pin connector so there was no power to the card, PC still won't turn on.

I've now taken the card out completely and the PC still won't turn on.

It's like as soon as I seat the GPU into the MOBO, it messes with the power somehow, I have to take out the GPU completely, unplug the PSU from the mains for a couple of minutes before I can plug it back in and the power button does anything

danicorpse

Reputable
May 30, 2014
It was doing this before I unplugged the 6 pin connector though. This is doing my brain in!

Now after leaving the PSU unplugged from the mains for about 5 minutes and plugging it back in, without the GPU seated, the PC turns on again.

Suffice to say my GPU is knackered? Or could it be a PSU issue?

SHADE117

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014

so your gpu basically just stopped working?
were you overclocking?

danicorpse

Reputable
May 30, 2014
Nope no overclocking at all. Just plugged it in and that was that.

If the GPU is seated in either PCI slot, the PC just won't turn on. I take it out and the onyl way to get the PC to turn on after is to unplug the PSU from the mains for about 5 minutes, then plug it back into the mains.

Don't understand why I have to unplug it from the mains for that amount of time before it will turn on again