GTX 660 Ti Freezing while Gaming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
This started on the 10th of Jan. I bought the 660 Ti in the beginning of December but now it freezes while playing games. I had finished assassins creed II with no problems so i moved on to Brotherhood and Revelations. Brotherhood worked fine till the end and revelations is now freezing. Now when i tried assassins creed 2 again, it froze! why is this happening and why suddenly! I even updated my drivers and i brought it it down to Version 306.97

Guys please help!!

Solution

Sounds like drivers crashing... do you get a windows warning saying nvidia drivers have stopped working but have recovered or something to that nature? Might want to downclock the card some and see if that fixes it... If that does fix it... You will want to RMA the card. Sounds to me that your card is at the very edge of stable at stock settings, Most likely you will need to RMA it.

Oh and when you say it freezes for 5-30 secs... do you mean the image just stays on screen for that time or does it flash to black during that "freeze"?

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

it freezes and get stuck for 5 seconds to 30secs and then comes back. It freezes more often when i look around fast and make quick movements

Sounds like drivers crashing... do you get a windows warning saying nvidia drivers have stopped working but have recovered or something to that nature? Might want to downclock the card some and see if that fixes it... If that does fix it... You will want to RMA the card. Sounds to me that your card is at the very edge of stable at stock settings, Most likely you will need to RMA it.

Oh and when you say it freezes for 5-30 secs... do you mean the image just stays on screen for that time or does it flash to black during that "freeze"?

Solution

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

the image just gets stuck on the screen, but the audio will be playing in the background. when i open GPU Tweak, it says boost clock is 980mhz. but that's stock so i havent OCed it. what should i downclock it to?

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
I may have found a reason to all of this and why its so sudden. my comp has malaware :( thats causing my CPU load to shoot up to 100% even at idle. I never noticed this as as soon as i start task manager the virus becomes inactive. lol. but on RealTemp it also shows CPU load along with temperatures. thats how i noticed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/65508-63-load-stuck-load#t266109

If any of you know the way to fix this than go to the link above.

Status
Not open for further replies.