GTX 660 to 960 or 970?

Nadav Erez

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
I want to upgrade my graphics card, and these are two good options. I have no problem to wait until March or April for the new R9 300 series from AMD- I'll still buy an Nvidia GPU, just because of the DSR.

Solution
The 970 is the best bang for the buck. Don't expect the price to drop at all, it's already a bargain.

As far as the 970 specs issue that just surfaced, don't let that deter you at all. Most sites have corrected the ROPS and L2 cache specs. The Memory segments might be an issue, but I think that really needs to be proven out more in real game scenarios. In synthetic testing the .5GB in the 2nd segment does show 1/7th the speed of the 1st segment, but there really is no solid proof it will negatively effect games that use more then 3.5GB VRAM. Time will tell. Regardless, even so the price tag of a 970 is well worth the performance it gives you.

Nadav Erez

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014

Alright, thanks! Should I wait for the 300 series to drop the prices of the 970, or buy now?

Nadav Erez

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014

In the U.S. it is really very cheap. I'm asking because where I live, a GTX 960 costs 330$ and a 970 costs 490$. (USD)

DRL14

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
If you get the gtx 970 be warned it effectively only has 3.5 gb vram with 0.5 gb vram crippled. Nvidias marketing team erroneously claimed it is 4gb vram. Also the memory bandwidth is lower than what is reported. Buyer beware.

The 970 is the best bang for the buck. Don't expect the price to drop at all, it's already a bargain.

As far as the 970 specs issue that just surfaced, don't let that deter you at all. Most sites have corrected the ROPS and L2 cache specs. The Memory segments might be an issue, but I think that really needs to be proven out more in real game scenarios. In synthetic testing the .5GB in the 2nd segment does show 1/7th the speed of the 1st segment, but there really is no solid proof it will negatively effect games that use more then 3.5GB VRAM. Time will tell. Regardless, even so the price tag of a 970 is well worth the performance it gives you.

Solution