Gtx 660M overclock

conquer7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Yes yes i know overclocking a laptop is not recommended but my laptop runs pretty cool even on load (Lenovo y580). I was wondering if it is even remotely possible to overclock my 660m gtx GPU.

Solution

Flashing, crashing, strange colours/lights ect.
Biggest concern is the heat output under FULL GAMING LOAD!

If you overclock it, do not think hey it runs at 65C during this game, make sure it is being stress to 100% usage! Those are the temperatures that matter.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I the Y570 with the GT555m, the CPU was quite prone to overheating but my GPU stayed at under 70C.

So I overclocked it using MSI Afterburner by +200Mhz, it ran 8-10C higher and I got a LOT more performance out of it.

If your temperature remain low, there is no reason not to go for it.

*Note that you can NOT adjust the voltage, so as high as it goes without artifacting or overheating is the limit, period.

conquer7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Alright sounds good, i thought i may have had to do something much much more complicated than that like modifying gpu bios, but this sounds alot easier. i may trie it, so artifacts are basically strange things on the screen like wrong colored pixels, right?

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

Flashing, crashing, strange colours/lights ect.
Biggest concern is the heat output under FULL GAMING LOAD!

If you overclock it, do not think hey it runs at 65C during this game, make sure it is being stress to 100% usage! Those are the temperatures that matter.

Solution