GTX 660Ti Weird noise and horizontal lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trataku

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I installed a GTX 660Ti to replace my older GTX 560Ti. After the install and I launched a game I got unexpected results.
The game had many horizontal lines moving vertically down it, and the card was emitting a weird high pitched squealing noise.

I cleaned out my PC of any old GPU drivers that might have been causing a problem and it only fixed the problem on some games including Skyrim, L4D2, L4D1, and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.

I then tried to set adaptive v-sync. That did nothing to help.

I reset the card and checked all power connections. That did nothing either.

Do I have a faulty card? The lines and squealing only happens in certain games or if I open the Steam interface in-game. My 560Ti had none of these problems.

PC Specs:
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.20GHz
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 8174 Mb
PSU: Corsair GS700
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Hard Drives: 1TB 7200RPM
Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, 2AC2

Solution
It is quite possible that you are experiencing artifacts with your 660Ti. If you had just purchased it you may be best off returning it for a new one. I will supply a image to see if this resembles what you are experiencing. Also the sound you are hearing is coil whine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO71tx8Cl9Q

WindowsXpgraphiccardfix.jpg

Trataku

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Quick Update:
I just tried the Heaven DX11 benchmark on my 660Ti. It got phenomenally better results than my 560Ti but I noticed a lot of screen tearing in areas. Is my 660Ti really a faulty card, or are the lines and squealing I see in some games something else?

I saw 0 lines and heard no squealing during the benchmark. I only saw a lot of screen tearing.

Benchmark AVG FPS in Heaven DX11:

GTX 560Ti: 15fps

GTX 660Ti: 49fps

Trataku

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
The image isn't quite what I am experiencing. The lines are more subtle than that. They go from one side of the screen to the other side and are moving downwards. The sound in the video is exactly what I'm hearing.

I'll trade my card off for a new one soon. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.