adarzannh

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
I have a 500w Psu and tomorrow I plan on buying a GTX 670 I've seen than the HerculeZ 3000 is one of the best you can buy but it requires a 550W PSU. I've looked on the internet and seen that even with a high end overclocked six core processor, 4 sticks of RAM, a corsair H100 the maximum power draw was 367w under a full load. http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1499/pg18/inno3d-ichill-gtx-670-herculez-3000-graphics-card-review-power-temps-noise.html
Would this card be okay with my OCZ coreXstream 500w PSU?

I haven't seen this 670 before it does have quite the monster cooler there reminds me of the coolers you would get with a ASUS card.
It may possibly work with a 500 watt power supply however if you are going to put the money into a card like a 670 I would just invest in something better to be on the safe side maybe something like a CORSAIR TX650. The one component you should never skimp on is your power supply.

adarzannh

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Unfortunately if I invest in a new power supply it would then mean having to get a worse graphics card which then cancels out the need for the new PSU in the first place! What other 670's would you recommend? I don't want a reference one, but it seems I'm rather limited for choice as the ASUS TOP editions are unstable out of the box, the MSI ones die due to over voltage out of the box and the Gigabyte one wants a 550w psu too.

adarzannh

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
And I've just re-checked that link, the whole system is on full load and yet it only draws 370ish watts? The card on the Inno3d website says it is rated for max of 204w so surely a 500w Psu would handle it fine?

I believe the standard wattage for the 670 is going to be 550W that is the power requirement from nvidia. The Overclock one uses a little more I think it uses a 6+2 + a regular 6 pin. If you want to go a little cheaper you could look at the 7950 which may be less of a drop then if you went with a 660Ti for example.

Can handle it probably yes. I just don't feel secure going with the minimum amount of power required for a card. It's like fitting 10 people in a small clown car yes you can get them in but you are not left with a very comfortable experience. You may feel different I know there are plenty of others on the forums who don't care.

adarzannh

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Thank for telling me this! I almost bought it tonight. That would have been a silly mistake. On the Nvidia site it says reference 670's are good for 500w psu's? So would that work or is it a still a definite no no? As I have a friend who knows not so much about pcs and bought a GTX 680 and he has a 500w psu too and that works perfectly fine.

adarzannh

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

I'm not too worried with that as long as it will not damage the graphics card?

Well that is hard to say. Say you end up in a situation where your system peaks in power and it goes over may it hurt your card possibly who knows. I find the investment in spending 100 dollars on a psu worth it considering you are buying a 400 dollar card. Just me.

adarzannh

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
When you put it like that it does seem worth it. Well I shall decide what to do in the morning! Thanks a lot for the help - I'd of probably ended buying the hurculeZ 3000 and damage my computer or something.