Gtx 670 Lagging in BF4 and The Witcher 2, but running Shadow of Mordor on Ultra on 40-60 FPS

tradob

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Hi guys! So, i had a Gtx 550 ti, wich was nice at the time but i felt like it was time for an upgrade.
So i bought a Gtx 670, but i have to admit i'm a little disappointed.

I play Shadow of Mordor on almost everything on ultra with a solid 50 Fps.

But The Witcher 2 and Battlefield 4 i have like 20 Fps on Ultra, and, check this out, on low is the same FPS that on Ultra! I don't know what the heck is going on. In both games my GPU only uses 50% (max) of her capacity. In the Witcher 2 the conversations are like 50/60 FPS, and when i climb stairs, but in the actual gameplay i only get like 25 fps, it starts at 35, but the GPU usage start to drop and i get only 25, 20 Fps.

The same happens with League of Legends, i play on Max graphics and my GPU usage is only 20%, but in some teamfight theres a drop in fps, it goes from 60 to 40/35.

What am i supposed to do? How do i make my gpu be more "smart" or force her to use more of her to get better fps.

* Witcher Uber is Off
* Overlocking doesn't work
* My old 550 ti also had the same issue in league of legends
* I have a 550w Psu 80+
* I use EVGA precision and i already used MSI afterburner to check GPU usage
* I tried turning that thing in the NVIDIA control panel from adaptive to Prefer maximum performance
* My Pc Specs = i3 2100, 4gb ddr3 1333, Asus gtx670 2gb dc2 top

Please, save my life :)

tradob

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
On ultra CPU is 102 Cº (now i'm worried) at 80% of usage (thats the highest usage it gets), both cores. Memory on ultra is 3.6gb's (about 85%). I recorded this with shadowplay, i can show you guys if you are interested later.

On medium the Cpu is the same temperature at 60% of usage (thats the highest usage it gets). Memory on medium is 3.3mb (about 62%). I didn't use shadowplay to check this.

One thing that i notice on Medium (i'm using Afterburner now) is that my GPU core doesn't get close to the normal clock (that is 915 or something bigger than that), it goes to 732 Mhz and stays there. I'm getting the same Fps on Medium and on Ultra (without uber).

I don't know if the problem is in the GPU, what the hell am i supposed to do?
I was playing LoL today, playing Aram. At a moment o got 32 FPS. I know that is on maximum, but LoL is a really light game. I wanted to get 60 FPS with Vsync 'cause is a 670!

If anyone could help me... I know that this card is capable of something more, i really do play Shadow of Mordor on ultra with only one option on medium 'cause is based on the Memory that the card have, and my card only have 2gb. The GPU usage in Shadow of Mordor is 95%, my gpu highest temperature is 70 Cº and i get a solid 40-60fps!

Thanks for all the help so far barto! :)

barto

Expert
Ambassador

Well 102C for the CPU is pretty hot. It wouldn't surprise me if the CPU is being throttled down due to over heating. Check and make sure you have proper cooling and thermal paste is applied. Even if that doesn't solve your problem, 102 is pretty hot. The maximum operating temp for the 2100 is 70C.

tradob

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Ok, i`m on vacation, just got engaged! :D

When i get home i`ll clean the cooler on the processor, re-apply the thermal paste and check it out!
Thanks!
--
So, i cleaned the cooler and there was an excess of thermal paste in the cpu. I cleaned up and now is running at 65 C at 70%.
I got more fps on bf4 but is not enough, i think. I see this Gpu getting 60+ fps on Bf4 on ultra, im getting 26 to 40, average 32 fps.
The witcher is the same thing as before.
The witcher is fun to watch. In the last loading screen before the game starts the fps get on 30, and keep 30 avarage with drops to 26. When i climb some random ladder it increases to 60 fps and my Gpu usage also increases.

I need some help! I really don`t think the problem is in the Gpu. Like, Shadow of Mordor i get really high fps on ultra. I don`t know why my Gpu usage is not always on at least 80%. The max it gets in those games is 50% with random spikes to 100% ( this make my fps increase for a moment).

Thanks!