[SOLVED] GTX 670 no image, fans spin, PC boots

TokyoSushiLlama

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
I just wanted to see if an old GPU I got from someone for dirt cheap in unknown condition would work fine.
So I installed it into a random PC (Am3+ System) plugged everything in and turned it on.

BlackScreen

The power supply is sufficient for this card (650W).
Since the SSD had been used for like 5 testing rigs, I decided to try a clean install.
I did this with a known good GT9600.
Installation was done and everything worked.
Now I wanted to test the GTX 670.
I put it back in - BlackScreen....

I have a i3 3320 system here with integrated graphics - should I try to put the GPU inside there and test the GPU and the iGPU?

Solution
So you did get display from it, just not after loading windows mostly. That is totally different than seeing black screen ONLY.

You might need a BIOS update in order to have the GPU working. What are the system specs?
Right, exactly. A TOTALLY different thing than just having a black screen or "no signal" message.

What windows version are we talking about?

You may have to slipstream some drivers into the Windows installation, but the fact that this is an older non-UEFI card means that it's unlikely that you would have any problems using it in any AM3+ aftermarket motherboard. Now, if this was an OEM AM3+ board, THEN a BIOS update (IF there even IS one available) might be necessary. But if you've tried the board in newer...
You ARE connecting the display to the graphics card, right, and not the motherboard video output? Have to ask that, because I see that about five or six times per month.

Otherwise, if other cards work in the system, and you have the required supplemental power connectors attached to the graphics card from the PSU, and the display cables are connected to the video card's outputs, and you still have a black screen, then there's really not much else it could be since all those systems are systems that should work fine with both legacy and UEFI graphics cards.

TokyoSushiLlama

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
Of course, but totally okay that you ask.
Yeah I tried both DVI ports and HDMI...
No luck

The system with the GTX 670 managed to display something once.
It was before I reinstalled windows.
Before that, it would always get to the windows logo with loading circle. Then the logo would disappear, the circles would load for another 3 seconds, and then there was a screen in the color of the recovery mode. But it was only the blueish color, no options whatsoever.
Once, I got into recovery (I just selected restart). And yesterday one time I had even more luck as said: the PC with the GPU booted into windows.

After changing the resolution to the right one, I wanted to use Furmark to verify that the GPU works. But of course I did not have drivers installed and no Lan connected, so it gave me an error Messsage when trying to start Furmark. I then shutbdown the PC and tried to turn it on. Could only get into the blue recovery color screen anymore. Weird right?

Last edited:
So you did get display from it, just not after loading windows mostly. That is totally different than seeing black screen ONLY.

You might need a BIOS update in order to have the GPU working. What are the system specs?
Right, exactly. A TOTALLY different thing than just having a black screen or "no signal" message.

What windows version are we talking about?

You may have to slipstream some drivers into the Windows installation, but the fact that this is an older non-UEFI card means that it's unlikely that you would have any problems using it in any AM3+ aftermarket motherboard. Now, if this was an OEM AM3+ board, THEN a BIOS update (IF there even IS one available) might be necessary. But if you've tried the board in newer motherboards and had the same result then it's just probably a bad card that was at first working and now isn't because it has problems.

Even though there is SOME kind of display, does not necessarily mean that the card is ok and that it is a driver problem. It STILL is highly likely with a card that old AND the fact you got it used cheap from somebody, that it is faulty. Not a certainty, but a high probability or at least possibility.

Reactions: dotas1
Solution

TokyoSushiLlama

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
Of course, but totally okay that you ask.
Yeah I tried both DVI ports and HDMI...
No luck

This was before I fresh installed windows on a new SSD... Thought that I just had to many different drivers on the old SSD and that a new one with clean windows will fix it.

Yes, sometimes I managed to get a windows logo and then a freeze, or get into recovery once, or even get to the desktop once.

System:
AM3+ CPU
Asus M5A87
One stick of 4GB DDR3 in the A2 Slot
LCPower LC6550 V2. 2

With a HD465X I get into windows

Try a different power supply.

In fact, HOW old is that power supply, because the LC6550 v2.2 was ALREADY old in 2013. It was a standard double forward + group regulated unit and even when new it was merely "mediocre" by all accounts, with Teapo plus Asia'X caps. And the Asia'X caps are very low quality. I'd would not be surprised if the initial mediocre quality plus the age of that unit isn't possibly a contributor to your problem. So I'll ask again, DID you try this card in another system that DOES have a capable enough power supply?

Because that graphics card, even when new, and likely the need for power is increased now with age, came with a recommendation for a good 550w unit, or a 650w unit if mediocre quality, but regardless it needs to be a unit capable of supplying it's full rated capacity especially on the auxiliary PCIe circuit. Just, something to consider as that model triggered my "old days" spidey senses.

TokyoSushiLlama

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
@Darkbreeze
Heres the thing:
Got the GTX 670 to work in win 10.
Installed Mainboard Chipset and GPU drivers - worked.
I still have PCIe Communicationcontroller in the "Other Devices" tab with an exclamation mark and error 28.
What does this mean and how to fix it?
Could this be the underlying issue?

I tested with OCCT and Furmark.
All went fine with Temps of 50/60 degrees on the GPU, but after 5-30 seconds the benchmark crashed each time. It would just close the window most of the times, or sometimes cause a bluescreen of death.

I also think the PSU is suspicious and will get a better one to replace it.

Could it still be possible or even likely that this is Error 28s or the PSUs fault with these symptoms?

What is the exact model of the CPU you are using?

ANY problem you have, with ANY system, regardless of WHAT the problem is or what the specific "error" is, can ALWAYS be due to the power supply. EVERYTHING relies on the power supply so if the power supply isn't working correctly on ALL rails (3v, 5v, 12v, etc.) then anything can seem to be faulty since nothing can work right if the power supply doesn't work right and it certainly doesn't have to be completely faulty for a power supply to create problems by not allowing some piece of hardware to work correctly, or to work intermittently correctly, or to work fine except when the demand of the load goes up.