Question GTX 670 seriously overheating

Aug 3, 2019
So a few weeks ago my PC would just randomly shut off and I had no idea why. I googled it and they said to check the computer temps. I downloaded HWMonitor and reaslised that the CPU was fine, but the GPU was at around 60-70* at idle, and climbed into the 90-100* range when playing games (even oldish ones on low graphics). I've tried updating the BIOS, cleaning everything out, changing to a larger, more airflow encouraging case, and reapplying the thermal paste on both CPU, GPU, and thermal adhesive for the heatsink in the GPU. Nothing has fixed this issue whatsoever. I honestly have no idea what else I can do, so I took to this lovely forum to try and troubleshoot a solution.

My stats are:
Windows 10
Y2MRG - Dell LGA1155 System Board for XPS 8300
12gb RAM
GTX 670
1 SysFan, as that's all my MoBo will allow
i7 Intel CPU

I'm not too sure what other info you guys might need, but feel free to ask, I'll be right here!

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds! x

Aug 3, 2019
Uhh, it's a Corsair Carbide 275R series. I bought it especially because my old one was dusty and didn't have very good ventilation. This one seems super airy and spacious, the fans seem good but I'm limited to just one PC fan by my MoBo.

Aug 3, 2019
I have checked the fan of the GPU, cleaned it out with cotton buds and alcohol. It seems to be running fine and fast when I clock up the speed, but the GPU is still incredibly hot.

Aug 3, 2019
My system fan is a 3 pin, could I realistically add 2 more fans with this splitter? My current system fan is at the rear of the chassis.

And I have the GPU set to roughly 70% normally, which keeps the GPU at roughly 70c, when I bump it up to 100% (which is very loud) it cools down to around 60c. All this is at idle however, and when I play games, my GPU shoots up above 100*c even with my fan at 100%.

Last edited: