GTX 670 Two DVIs = 1 No Signal

AdamFearny

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Hello there,

So I have two EVGA GTX670 FTW cards in my new system and I am currently using two monitors at the moment. I have the cards configured in SLI and I'm just wondering what the best way to connect to the two monitors is.

The card has, DVI-D, DVI-I, HDMI and Displayport.

My Monitors support DVI-D, HDMI and VGA.

So for monitor one, I'm using a single link DVI-D cable which is plugged in to the DVI-D port on the graphics card, and for monitor two I'm using a VGA cable plugged in to a DVI to VGA adapter supplied with the card.

I've read various sites and people say to use DVI. So I tried connecting the second monitor up using my single link DVI-D cable and plugging it in to the top DVI-I port but that resulted in a no signal message on my second monitor. I have switched cables around and have also tried plugging the single link DVI-D cable in to the DVI-I port which worked, but adding the second DVI-D cable to the DVI-D port resulted in another no signal.

So my questions would be how is best to set up my monitors in terms of "picture quality"? Are there advantages to going for DVI over VGA? And does my card not support two DVI outputs, or would I need a dual link DVI-I cable?

Thanks, I hope this makes sense.