Hey guys, i asked a similar question earlier about Phenom II 980 or the two BE X6's. But Malmental and several others told me to get the Phenom 975 or 980 ( I went with a 980)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103935

and i was wondering, would i have a extreme bottleneck with this Processor. and a GTX 680?

Don't recommend me getting any AMD radoen cards, because i only buy NVIDIA!

Don't tell me to buy Intel because I am going to Build a complete Intel System later on. My only question is as said before. Will i have any Bottlenecks that will be so major that i can't handle a GTX 680?

Solution
If you OC your X4 980 to 4.0 Ghz (which is absolutely doable) you shouldn't have too much of a bottleneck except in the most extreme CPU limited situations. I tested a GTX 580 (stock) with my X4 955 @ 3.6 Ghz and it was much faster and smoother in all my Bethesda titles than my GTX 460 1GB @ 875 Mhz. I imagine a GTX 680 paired with an X4 running 400 Mhz faster would be about the same experience.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Depending on the Title and Resolution played... I would think that yes... you will likely be bottlenecked.

Some titles have the GTX 680 competing with a 6990 and GTX 590... and those cards do bottleneck Phenom II X4s.

However some of the bottleneck can be alleviated via an overclock.

Idk tho. i have seen the scores of even a Phenom II 975 and it wasn't too far behind the older i7's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck0PoDVSwDA
and fast forward to about 3:35 and you will see cinebench it does ok.

But I am gaming, not Cenebench. Also i take your comment lightly as you are a Intel User. Not trying to discriminate you. I just need more replys to make a decision

But right now my Ideas are :

1. Get a GTX 680 when the non reference cards come out (Possibly) and overclock my CPU if need be

2. Get a GTX 670 or model below the 680

So for the Harsh response....I read your reply again and thought about it. Understood the part about "Depending on the Tittle"

The games i play are: Skyrim, Metro 2033, and Battlefield 3, Bad Company 2 and a few of the games to come. Like Metro Last Light and Far Cry 3. but I want to be able to handle the things to come this year.

So Again sorry for the harsh response. I was a Regular once, and i know how hard it was getting to Veteran.

I am a PC

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

Doesn't matter even if CPU is a minor bottleneck because it will never be a game breaker the framerates will always be more than perfectly playable even with the Phenom II x4 980 which is an amazing CPU even still today @ only $150

Get em fieto get em boy! lol

RussK1

Splendid
But Malmental and several others told me to get the Phenom 975 or 980 ( I went with a 980)

Mals right, the 980 is a good choice.

And he would even agree - MicroCenter has the 2500K for $179.99 and $50 off and P67 or Z68 board which is a better upgrade. So you could get CPU and board for $230.

But again, the 980 is fine.

Thanks russ. As earlier stated ill be building a Intel Build in within the next year or so. And i would like to have a Nice graphics card to carry over to it. So As long as the GTX 680 and the 980 agree with eachother. thats probably the card i will get. Unless the GTX 670 isn't at much difference and is a cheaper card

I think it will be fine, from a technical standpoint you will be restricted to less FPS than the card would achieve with a faster CPU.
With a GPU like the 680 this would be true of even the fastest CPU though, over clock that and you would get more FPS.

I believe that you wont have a noticeable issue.

Don't know if you have seen this its part 4 of a 4 part series links are on the first page to the others. Its quite old now but good reading for someone who wants to get a handle on exactly how this whole issue works.
Bottlenecking is over hyped in my opinion.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/balanced-gaming-pc-overclock,review-31966.html

Mactronix :)

cmi86

Distinguished
980's are nice but 960T's are better (IMHO), they have almost an 80% unlock rate to a 6 core (don't believe me go read the new egg reviews, everyone is unlocking this thing) But even if it doesn't unlock its a black edition chip, bump your multi up a few notches and bang theres your 980. There is no point in paying more for clocks on BE chips, plus the 960T is on sale at MC for $99.99 ! you cant lose !

1: Eh, maybe unless you overclock

shouldn't count that because the 980BE can click the multi 3 times without having to adjust settings and I run my two clicks.
so just two clicks of the multi on the 980BE is 4.1GHz.

so you should be doing that anyways...
Are you talking about upping the Multiplier a tad bit with Stock Voltage and get a 4.0 or 4.2 OC?

jeffredo

Distinguished
If you OC your X4 980 to 4.0 Ghz (which is absolutely doable) you shouldn't have too much of a bottleneck except in the most extreme CPU limited situations. I tested a GTX 580 (stock) with my X4 955 @ 3.6 Ghz and it was much faster and smoother in all my Bethesda titles than my GTX 460 1GB @ 875 Mhz. I imagine a GTX 680 paired with an X4 running 400 Mhz faster would be about the same experience.

Solution

Thanks Jeff, that real scenario put the bar on things. Thanks for the Example!, ok so let me calculate here real quick.

3.7Ghz +400mhz =4.1?, 4.1 is probably a good Speed, without upping the voltage. (if i do have to up the voltage for a Overclock, i don't want it to be too much). I know 1.5 volts is pretty steep for a Processor. its already using 1.4v. so.....I guess the thing to do first, is once i get my 980. See what kind of temps i am running, do a temps check, prime 95 benchmark. Wait until i have my GTX 680, to know what the breaking point of the Bottleneck would be. To get the CPU and GPU on the same page for the most part!

Wow i just googled Phenom 980 overclocked to 4.0 on stock, and your thread was the first thing to come up. What do you know? lol

Well i guess we will have to find out, since ill only be using one 680. Ill have the head room for Voltage. but if i can get 4.0 stable on stock voltage settings...I'ma be balling :bounce:

Then ima rolling up in here telling Jeffrado...Look what i did

nah nah nah nah can't touch this.. :non: :non:

Then i can tell him what he has been wondering on Overclockers.net, its his Chipset holding him back!

jeffredo

Distinguished

I certainly hope its my old 790FX chipset causing my higher stock voltage (1.425-1.44) and not my CPU. :lol:

Well do you have a Link to the board you are using. I could take a look at it. I was reading you post, and i have a buddy that was running a 890X ROG board. and it had to be RMA'ed but i believe he overclocked his CPU pretty well with that chipset. if i were you. I'd try a different board. One with a better Mosfit, higher quality capacitor's and chokes, Also overall power design. CPU's and Graphics cards arent the only think that get better over the years. its also Motherboards. And one thing i like that ASUS has done, is they have made their BIOS and Motherboards more overclocking friendly. They make sure their Warranties are good (Even tho some may comment that RMA process is complete SH**) but i havn't had a problem with my ASUS products.

Proud owner of a m4a88td evo usb3 board as well as a sabertooth 990FX (Current mobo) ans a ASUS DCII 560 ti. All good products.

So if you could show me what motherboard your using. I might could determine if its chipset or power design thats holding you back. One thing i have picked up from my time in the computer business. Is Marketing. You know when you've bought a great product. when it does what you need it to and with things that you didn't even ask for but become useful later on. One of the Actual Key aspects of ASUS is they look at the feed back of their products and ask the community what could be improved, what could be added and i just think a company that focusses on the community and what the consumer wants in their product whether it be Motherboards or Graphics cards. Internet Routers/ modems. etc etc. Just a few seconds of examining the overall physical quality of the product can also determine if its a good product.