Question GTX 680 Crashing. Screen crash ranges from blue, pink, orange, and black...

Jul 18, 2019
Hey, yesterday I was playing WoW and in mid-raid my screen went pink Entire game and PC crashed. Upon start-up it will let me load in for about 15 seconds before the screen crashes over and over, with colors ranging from everything under the rainbow(no error messages, just completely blank colors on the entire screen)... I ended up cleaning the PC and getting new RAM/updated my drivers. After I updated drivers and got new ram it will load into the homescreen, however once I try to open an app like discord or battle net it will freeze the frames on my screen. I'll almost get squares coming up that are pink/blue about 1cm by 1cm. Along with that I will have certain visuals on my screen background get highlighted in a light shade of white. Once this is happening the PC will either turn the screen black followed by it coming back on like nothing happened, and the app opening. Or it will just completely freeze and I'm stuck with restarting the PC again. I'm not that experienced with computers so I don't want to mess anything up. I had done a malware scan and nothing was found... The computer runs perfectly in safe mode. Is this a symptom of my graphics card taking a dump?

I want to fix this as soon as possible since I'm trying to push some mad arena rating this week.

Jul 18, 2019
windows 7
gtx 680
600gb hd
10gb ddr3 (2x 4gb stick, 1x 2gb stick)
p6x580 premium mobo
i7 cpu 930@2.80GHz (8cpu)
corsair 850w power supply

I seemed to have somewhat directed the problem. After reverting the GTX 680 driver to one in 2012, it will let me boot into normal mode and browse the web, open battle.net, discord, etc...

However once I open WoW it crashes nearly immediately with a black screen (monitor power light on the side goes from blue to orange). The computer will also start to beep at me until it ends up rebooting itself.

While typing this I had discord, and battle.net open and I crashed about 10 minutes after having everything turned on.

Could my GTX 680 finally be taking a dump?

Jul 18, 2019
Also if it means anything, the fans on my computer seem to be much slower than usual. I used to be able to hear them quite loudly but now they are spinning (much slower than before) and not making noise

Edit/update

I can log into WoW on characters that are still in the starting zone (not very intensive on your computer). However once I log into my main in the new zones the crash happens nearly instantly. The screen goes black and the sound/audio of the zone plays for about 10 seconds during this time... After that it will start to audio desync and make repetitive noise through my head/speakers until I turn off the computer.

If it means anything I'm still downloading the game since I did a clean install of windows. So there is a background downloader going on while I'm logging into the newer zones (18gb left on patch). I'm thinking of waiting to see if once the patch is fully downloaded the problem persists.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019
For anyone with a similar problem, it has been solved... As an update, my cousin had a spare radeon rx 480 4gb that wouldnt work on his rig. His PC was also broken and I suspected his was an SSD. We traded some parts around and the RX 480 has solved all my crashes. It had to of been a faulty GPU that was causing my PC to crash.

Now him and I both have working computers.