coolsamme

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
Alright, so.. Is this right? http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/12/10/12/f62.png
My memory clock seems wrong? I don't know much about computers, but heard that something in this card is like 6208, frequency or whatever. Is this right? This is under full load, stress testing with AIDA. The computer slows down more than when I stress test my CPU.. It really becomes like.. Unuseable under full load. Is this normal?

coolsamme

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
I have done tests (superclocked edition" and in 3dmark I get like 9400 score as I should I guess, ive seen ppl with much higher though.. Is that normal? Average FPS all maxed in Heaven benchmark is 47.
In GW2 I struggle hard and can get to 15 FPS in WvW as lowest, in Borderlands 2 I drop to like 35 as lowest, but mostly stay above 60, and that is right according to benchmarks..

and can high gpu usage cause lag? i did a stress test on my gpu and it became VEEERY laggy when I did that, more than when i stress test my cpu.. it was really undealable. i get 99% gpu usage in games aswell, can that slow down my FPS?
thanks

cooldudesubho

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Why do you stress test?They only cause harm especially that notorious furmark.Heaven benchmark is the best stress test.Your memory speed is correct.6208 is the effective speed.Real speed is the one shown in gpuz.

What your full system spec?Guild war2 is running crap ever launch.Its a cpu limited game just like skyrim when it first came out.

What is your res?

OFC your pc will slow down when you stress test.What do you expect to do when stress testing?Playing BF3 along with it.

coolsamme

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012

Well, I get alot of drops.. It's unplayable, my average fps is maybe 70, but every second it drops to 30 quickly and then back again.. im bored of gw2 so doesnt matter, i just wonder if its my computer that fails..
1920x1080
i5 2500k 4.2 (how do I check if this is stable? i stress tested it and voltage is 1.38 or something, temperature never surpass 60, not even 50 when gaming).
P67-c45
650 w power supply.

cooldudesubho

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012

WHich game does that?Is your gtx 680 stock or OC?Which brand is your powersupply?

coolsamme

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012

Antec.
GW2 does that.

To test the stability of your over lock run prime 95. And cooldud is correct the 6208 is your memory clock. The overclock you have seems stable but sounds like you either dont have enough voltage going to something or you have a bottleneck still. Which your i5 should handle a 680 easily but 4.2 isn't a high of. I have my 3570k at 4.4 and it really made a difference

coolsamme

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012

I've tried higher my then it just underclocks itself to around 4.2 again. I have done right voltage settings and so on, so thats my limit. Am I really bottlenecking? :///

coolsamme

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012

Prime95 is bugged I think.. its automatically 3,7 ghz whatever overclock setting, which doesnt happen even if I have aida stress test on + alot of other stress tests. GW2 is my only problem, is this rly at my end?

coolsamme

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012

it's 4.2 and i got alot of positive difference in gw2. ALL my stuttering went away when moving camera and so.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
I have the exact same gtx 680 model (sli'd with another, but set as my primary) and play more GPU intensive games. You're right on BL2 and your gtx 680 is fine.

That's a pretty high voltage for a relatively low OC on the 2500K and GW2 is a CPU intensive game. I would wager that rockdpm might be on to something is not right with your MB/CPU.

coolsamme

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012

Thanks so much for saying that my performance in BL2 is as it should. I'm buying a new motherboard and CPU this christmas luckily! Is that voltage too high? is it dangerous?

The wrong forum bit was a whoopsy and has been edited.

G

Multiply Frequency by 4.

GDDR5 = base memory x2, then x2 again.

I hope that helps. GPU-Z is reading it correctly, to get the Effective Memory you need to do the math I outlined above.

Edit: Also you want 99% GPU usage, otherwise that means your CPU is bottlenecking it. Its perfectly normal for 99% GPU usage in game. That means its stretching its legs to the full extent.

coolsamme

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012

Alright, thanks. So I guess my FPS is normal in Borderlands 2? But in GW2.. What is the problem there really? i heard it got some bug with overclocked GPUs but I have no idea..

G

Could be a game bug. Could be a bad Overclock. Your voltages seem a tad high, you should try lowering them very slightly, then running prime95 for about 15 minutes to make sure its stable, then keep going down until then. That may not be required honestly.

I would make sure you have the latest drivers for your GTX 680. Other than that if thats the only game you have an issue with, then its most likely the game.

If it were gpu or cpu related all games would exhibit that behavior.

Edit: You really dont need to upgrade your CPU and MOBO. Your current setup is fine.

if you think overclocking mess up with your performance then revert everything back to stock setting and try running benchmark or games once again. about GW2 i heard there was a bit of issues with nvidia cards as of now. it could be driver related or the game itself.

coolsamme

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
Yeah, I know but some people claims that they get very good framerates with same build as mine. Maybe kids just trying to make me mad. I dunno, I have spoken to many people with the same performance like me aswell.. Well, I think my performance in other games are fine? Seems to be according to benchmarks in Borderlands 2, Dishonored aswell (130 all the time), Sleeping Dogs and Heaven Benchmark.
Is heaven benchmark a "proof"? Can I use it time to time to see if my computer performs as well as it should and not worry about my end as long as I get good results in there?
thanks guys, and im buying a new motherboard since i can't overclock my cpu more, and in BL2 for example, the i7 3770 performs 16 FPS better than i5 2500k at stock.

And about me seeing decreased performance.. Well, very not. In GW2 I was chocked by the performance, in WvW its the same but in normal pve its much better. I logged in today and it sucked again, but that must certainly be after a patch or so I guess, nothing has changed and my performance in Heaven is as it was back then.

Do you guys think that I'll run games like FarCry 3, Assassins Creed 3, Watch Dogs for example, on maxed settings?

There is no reason to buy a new motherboard and CPU, there is no real "upgrade" from an i5 2500k for gaming. If you really believe your cpu or mobo are defective, you should check to see if they are under warranty still and try to get them replaced.. But from what i have read in this post I would assume its something software related not hardware.

coolsamme

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012

My MOBO does not support pcie-3 though! I want that + it doesn't support sli which I also want in the future!

so wait till the future when you need those things, I'd recommend waiting for at least the next generation of CPU's. If you decide you need to go SLI at that point you can upgrade the motherboard...But its normally better to just buy a single higher end card than SLIing, and if you only play on 1 monitor really no reason to ever pick SLI over 1 graphic card solution(unless you plan to play in 3D).
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/18/pci_express_20_vs_30_gpu_gaming_performance_review/1
little to no advantage of having pcie 3.0 vs 2.0.

But do whatever you want, just seems like a total waste of money to me. Hope I have helped.