GTX 680 Single Card 90 degrees!

mogen1000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Recently, I've overclocked my i7 3770k up to 4.5ghz and the voltage on that is currently around 1.7. Would it be because I have overclocked my CPU that my GPU temps are rising as well?

My Zotac GTX 680 is reaching from 87-90 degrees (90 max). Would playing games at these temps ruin my GPU? My CPU is at around 65 degrees.

I think before I overclocked my CPU, the temps were running just above 82 degrees for my GPU.

My CPU cooler is the Noctua C14. Dunno why I didn't go D14 :p

Solution
That would depend on how that cooler is mounted. Is any air from the CPU blowing towards the GPU? Also you could try resetting your overclock settings to see if the temps go back down then you would have isolated the issue to the OC.

T-max for most nVidia cards are usually 90C, so that temperature or below should not ruin the card, but that is the point in which the card will throttle itself down in speed to reduce the risk of frying.

Also if it's in a mini itx case, it's going to have airflow issues, and overclocking will introduce more heat into the equation which is very, very bad for mini itx builds.

Dilan Gilluly

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
That would depend on how that cooler is mounted. Is any air from the CPU blowing towards the GPU? Also you could try resetting your overclock settings to see if the temps go back down then you would have isolated the issue to the OC.

T-max for most nVidia cards are usually 90C, so that temperature or below should not ruin the card, but that is the point in which the card will throttle itself down in speed to reduce the risk of frying.

Also if it's in a mini itx case, it's going to have airflow issues, and overclocking will introduce more heat into the equation which is very, very bad for mini itx builds.

Solution