wellspear

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
I have been thinking about this question a lot recently, and while I've read tens of different posts about this question, there are equally many opinions on this.

I plan to build a new computer, with either a GTX 690 or 2x GTX680's in SLI. I want to play all games in 2560x1440, in ultra with 4xAA, and 60fps+.

I've heard that todays games don't need more than 2GB for maxing them out completely with 4xAA on ultra (BF3, Crysis 2 etc), but I want the machine to be able to play future games with those settings.

Now I have 2 questions that I want someone who KNOWS to answer:

1. Is 2GB VRAM enough to run TODAYS games in 1440p, ultra, and 4xAA, at 60fps?
2. When new games come out, that are more demanding, do you think that the GPU power will be the limit, or the VRAM? For example, say that I get 2x680's 4GB in SLI now, will they run games in a year or more smoother than a GTX 690?

Thanks!

redeemer

Distinguished
grab two 7970's instead 384 bus 3GB call it a day

Oh yeah you may be wondering why I am telling you to grab 7970's when i got 680's, reason I game at 1080p @ 120hz

Guru3d:

The 4GB -- Realistically there was not one game that we tested that could benefit from the two extra GB's of graphics memory. Even at 2560x1600 (which is a massive 4 Mpixels resolution) there was just no measurable difference.

Now the setup could benefit from triple monitor setups at 5760x1080 (which is a 6 Mpixels resolution), but even there I doubt if 4 GB is really something you'd need to spend money on. It might make a difference at 16xAA and the most stringent games, or if you game in 3D Stereo and triple monitor gaming -- I mean sure -- at any point graphics memory can and will run out. There's one exception to the rule, and that's Skyrim all beefed, tweaked and modded upwards. But the universal question remains, is it worth it investing in that extra memor? This card is 90 EUR more expensive. Well that answer depends on pricing versus your demands and requriements really, the extra memory certainly won't hurt that's for sure, but sure -- the benefits remains small.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/palit-geforce-gtx-680-4gb-jetstream-review/26