GTX 690 just detects 1 GPU (instead of two)

osipsa

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Hi, I´ve just installed a new graphics card, Nvidia GTX 690.
After installing the drivers (clean install) , the system just detects 1 GPU (instead of 2).
I`ve reinstalled the drivers, checked with GPU Z (it shows the graphics as a non-sli device, with 1 GPU), also nvflash shows just 1 display adapter (I am not planning to flash it, just to check why it does not work).
If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it. Sorry for my bad english.

Solution
It's a dud. I'd return the card. What the vendor told you is entirely correct, but misleading. Just because the card hasn't been physically tampered with, doesn't mean at all that it was never software tampered with via OC abuse. This could quite easily have overheated or damaged one of the gpu's while leaving the secondary gpu alone. In any normal 1 gpu-gpu you'd have received a dead card.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I believe that is normal. The card is not technically in SLI mode without there being a 2nd card in the other PCIe x16 slot. You'd have to add a 2nd GTX 690 to have SLI. But rest assured, you will get full benefit from the dual-GPU card.

osipsa

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

Yes, but I think the GTX 690 comes with 2 gpu units, with 4GB RAM (each GPU providing 2 GB), but in my case, I just have 2GB (of 4) and just one DVI output (instead of 3)

osipsa

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Yes, but I dont know why, just the bottom one it's working. the other 2 do not display anything (also, the nvidia control panel does not detect them).

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Doesn't sound like the card is completely operational then. Was this bought new or used?

osipsa

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Used, but apparently the vendor said that the card has not been physically modified. After I checked it, that seems to be true, it has not been open or modified, but I sincerely dont know why still fails.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a dud. I'd return the card. What the vendor told you is entirely correct, but misleading. Just because the card hasn't been physically tampered with, doesn't mean at all that it was never software tampered with via OC abuse. This could quite easily have overheated or damaged one of the gpu's while leaving the secondary gpu alone. In any normal 1 gpu-gpu you'd have received a dead card.

Solution