GTX 690 V GTX Titan

CompBuilder

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Hi there, I am debating on to get the GTX 690 or the GTX Titan. I will be playing on a single monitor at 1920x1080 and hope to Max out Crysis 3. I read a lot of reviews between these two cards but I'm still unsure. Money is not a problems so it won't matter. Thanks :bounce: :D

pete123edgar

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Why would you want to waste money on a Titan, is it for benchmark results? The first time I read you are running on a 1080p, there is no need for a titan, but if money is not a problem, well why not buy it.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
[1920x1080, Very Hi settings with 4xAA]

~70fps -GTX 690
~55fps -GTX Titan
~39fps -GTX 680
(all average fps)

Anything over 30 fps is considered good(generally), over 60 fps may be a waste. Many monitors won't display above that, effectively cancelling them out(plus you can't tell the difference anyway).

The hi performance recommended GPU for Crysis 3 is a GTX 680 or Radeon 7970.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Crysis-3-System-Requirements-DirectX-11-Radeon-GeForce,19509.html

And the source on the fps: (excellent graph, just scroll down a few inches)
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-314-07-whql-drivers-released

i cant even imagine the power supply needed as well as how partially redundant the 4th titan(compared to 3) will be frame wise unless you are going to do some folding. (as well as the fact that you'd probably have to order like 4 evga hydrocopper titan blocks to fit them in a WC loop because 4 cards sitting side by side is bound to generate a good chunk of heat.

RussK1

Splendid

I own ten... see how that works? Don't believe everything you read or hear...

The Titan is a waste of money and so is the 690. Either or should only be considered when there is limited PCI-e slots or space is an issue. Other than that, why spend a $1,000 when you can buy 2 cards that will outperform the 1 at a cheaper price. The Titan needs to come down to the $650 range for it to be viable. Other than that, it's for those that have a bankrupt mentality or no sense on managing $$ mommy and daddy give them.

zpwslayer

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2012

I agree with everything you just said.

CompBuilder

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Ok then, I decided not to waste a lot of money and go for a GTX 680 instead. I know money is tough but I was hoping to max out Crysis 3, but I also been seeing videos with GTX 680 that look awesome. Thanks

Only ten? I've got fifty, in SLi no less! :lol:

RussK1

Splendid

Get two, be happy, no regret and don't look back.

We wish! You'd have a Folding monster.

Great card I'm sure, (we've discussed this) it's just not worth a 1,000 bucks.

RussK1

Splendid

That's the point as there is no point. There's a better value elsewhere.