[SOLVED] GTX 750 2gb vs. 750 Ti 4gb; which has better value?

Jul 30, 2021
Hi, I need advice on which GPU I should buy for a really budget system. I don't play the latest AAA games, I mostly play android games through emulators. The most demanding game I will play is most likely just Apex Legends.

Both the 750 and 750 Ti are from a brand called Vurrion and they are brand new cards retailing for about $100 USD and $140 USD respectively. I know it's probably more economical to get a used 1050 or something but I have trust issues and the used market in Indonesia isn't what I would call reliable. Currently these two cards are the best options for me, at least when compared to a new GT 1030 or RX 550 (these two cards retail for $100 around here).

That said, I'm still not really sure on which I should go with, hence this thread. How big of a performance jump can I expect with the Ti variant? Does it warrant the extra $40?

TIA!

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
Gtx 750 ti should be, about 15 % better in benchmarks. And yes, you're right, better grab newer card, or save money, or wait when prices goes down. There is a lot of better options, like gtx 970, or rx570, and etc. I don't know prices right now, but gtx 750 is old, budget card, popular paired with pentium g3258 or 4 th gen i3 when it comes to market.

Reactions: Yuef_404

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I'd get the Ti purely for the jump from 2 GB to 4 GB of VRAM; 2 GB of VRAM isn't going to get you very far these days.

The concern with this from a gaming standpoint is that the GPU itself probably isn't fast enough to realize the extra RAM. It's a good selling feature, it's likely very good for work specific related GPU tasks, but for gaming is probably not much more than a gimmick. This was a common discussion in relation to the GTX 960 versions with more VRAM.

InvalidError

Titan
The concern with this from a gaming standpoint is that the GPU itself probably isn't fast enough to realize the extra RAM.
Extra VRAM is one of those things you "don't need" until you do and once you do need it (ex.: running higher resolution textures, possibly with reduced shader processing to accommodate the increased processed pixel count) but don't have it, performance drops off a cliff. Granted, with this level of GPU power in newer games, 2GB vs 4GB might spell the difference between an unplayable 5-10fps and a still not particularly enjoyable 15-25fps.

The RX470-570 didn't need 4GB when it launched either. Today though, the 8GB models are crushing the 4GB ones if you bump details up a bit in newer games, same goes with the RX5500.

The concern with this from a gaming standpoint is that the GPU itself probably isn't fast enough to realize the extra RAM. It's a good selling feature, it's likely very good for work specific related GPU tasks, but for gaming is probably not much more than a gimmick. This was a common discussion in relation to the GTX 960 versions with more VRAM.

From my understanding, VRAM usage isn't dependant on a GPU's overall performance. Stuff like textures and other data can use a significant amount of VRAM regardless of how powerful a GPU is. So if the OP is playing a game that is so graphically simple that he has enough performance to run it at 1080p, 2 GB of VRAM might very well not be enough to properly run things.

In my opinion $40 is not a lot of money for an extra 15% performance boost and double the VRAM.