[SOLVED] GTX 750 Ti on a Dell Optiplex 760 SFF 235 watt PSU

testsubject2575

Reputable
Dec 26, 2019
Will I encounter any issue about power if I have a GTX 750 Ti + Core 2 Quad Q9650 + 4X 2GB DDR2 RAM in my Dell Optiplex 760 SFF PC with only 235 watt PSU? Photo from Google.

images

Last edited:
Solution
I want a GTX 750 Ti that draws all its power from the PCIe socket.
Okay. Then you should be fine.

Another factor could be your actual motherboard PCIe X16 slot. Sometimes Dell (and the other OEMs) actually limits the wattage available at the PCIe slot (commonly 35w and not the standard 75w).

When this is the case, there is often some labeling stenciled to the motherboard citing this limitation.

testsubject2575

Reputable
Dec 26, 2019
Power? Maybe, but it should work, just don't try to overclock anything.

The issue might be space. Some GTX 750Ti GPUs are too wide to fit into the available space in a Dell like yours. What specific GTX are you looking at?
Space is not a problem. I can fit any GPU but it requires some modification on the case (I need to dremel the back plate for that to work), and moving the HDD on the Optical Drive's location since I do not have an Optical Drive nor a Floppy Drive.

I am looking for any kind of GTX 750 Ti that works with the system unit I have.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I want a GTX 750 Ti that draws all its power from the PCIe socket.

Another factor could be your actual motherboard PCIe X16 slot. Sometimes Dell (and the other OEMs) actually limits the wattage available at the PCIe slot (commonly 35w and not the standard 75w).

When this is the case, there is often some labeling stenciled to the motherboard citing this limitation.

Reactions: testsubject2575
Solution

testsubject2575

Reputable
Dec 26, 2019

How do I know if my motherboard limits the wattage on the PCIe slot?

If my motherboard limits the power on the PCIe slot, does it mean it is time to replace my power supply? If that is the case, I'll buy a more recent PC with higher PSU wattage instead of upgrading it.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
How do I know if my motherboard limits the wattage on the PCIe slot?

If my motherboard limits the power on the PCIe slot, does it mean it is time to replace my power supply?
Look for info written on the motherboard.

If the motherboard slot is limited, changing the motherboard is required (not a limitation of the PSU). If that is the case, you should just replace the whole system.

Reactions: testsubject2575