GTX 750 Ti or R7 265 or R7 370

Sean Racacho

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
My sapphire hd 7770 vapor-x oc just recently died. I did hours of research on what gpu I will buy next and I found three cards that mostly matches my budget:

PALIT GTX 750 Ti StormX OC Dual
Sapphire R7-265 2GB GDDR5 128bit
Sapphire R7 370 2GB DDR5 Dual-X OC

I think I had it with AMD GPUs, all those problems I had faced so i want to try Nvidia branded card to see if it works better. i then found gtx 750 ti but the problem is, there are AMD cards that is said to perform better that is on my budget range. those are the 265, 270, and 370. they said that 370 is just a rebrand of r9 270 that is old to support new features and some said that it is a 265 rebrand.

another thing, for those who cares to help me, please consider DIRECTX 12. i have read that it can boost those AMD cards and i dont know if the gtx 750 ti will benefit from it. also, those freesync features, the physx of nvidia, etc.

I want to play at 768p with decent fps, specially Assassin's creed unity and the upcoming Syndicate.

What GPU should I buy?

specs:
cpu: i3-2120 3.3 GHz
ram: 6GB DDR3
mobo: gigabyte Z77M-D3H
psu: Antec 25 Platinum 550W
(yup it's old)

Solution
Yes. 370 are pretty much the same 265. Same core config with 370 clocked much higher than 265. 270/270X are being rebrand into 370X which only launch at china recently.

As for dx12 it is hard to say right now. Right now Ashes of Singularity are using Async compute which seems work better for amd gcn right now compared to nvidia maxwell. But that's only one game. There will also bound to be game that will use FL12_1 which only available on nvidia maxwell 2. In that case nvidia card will be faster since they have dedicated hardware for it while amd have to rely on software emulation.

Also right now i will not count maxwell as truly weak in Async compute yet. Because kepler able to get massive performance increase as well in AoS when...
Yes. 370 are pretty much the same 265. Same core config with 370 clocked much higher than 265. 270/270X are being rebrand into 370X which only launch at china recently.

As for dx12 it is hard to say right now. Right now Ashes of Singularity are using Async compute which seems work better for amd gcn right now compared to nvidia maxwell. But that's only one game. There will also bound to be game that will use FL12_1 which only available on nvidia maxwell 2. In that case nvidia card will be faster since they have dedicated hardware for it while amd have to rely on software emulation.

Also right now i will not count maxwell as truly weak in Async compute yet. Because kepler able to get massive performance increase as well in AoS when running in dx12. So either maxwell architecture itself are problematic with async compute or maxwell driver for async compute are having problem causing performance regression.

Solution