GTX 750 Ti Problems

Same17

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
I recently purchased the EVGA GTX 750 ti SC and on most games I've played it doesn't seem to be running great. So far I've tried Star Wars: The Old Republic which even on 1280x720 with medium settings I'm only getting on average about 15 fps in most areas. I've tried Final Fantasy 13 PC Release and i get around 20 fps in battles and about 25 running around if that. Sometimes running around it can go above 25 but when it does it caps at 30 when a supposed patch fixed this. Any help on this would be great or any other information that is needed, just ask.

Graphics Card - GTX 750 ti
Processor - AMD Phenom 8450 Triple-Core Processor 2.10ghz (Old I know but I was told it would not bottleneck the card and it also does not go anywere near 100% cpu usage on any of the 3 cores.)
Ram - 6GB

Same17

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014

I upgraded them as soon as I put the card in the computer.

Update - Has no one got any information on this? I tested it again today and when I was playing in The Old Republic I stood in the same place and changed from 800x600 all the way up to 1920x1080 in all different graphic settings, Nothing changed in my FPS at all. It always hovered around the same range.

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014
If you change your settings between lowest and maxed and see no performance difference, you are suffering a CPU bottleneck. This means that your CPU is holding back your GTX 750 Ti because it is not able to process the data fast enough to keep up with your graphics card. This can happen in certain games, not all. For example, very CPU intensive games like Age of Empires, GTA, etc. (Mainly Open World and RTS games. Also some MMO's).

So the solution to this is to upgrade your CPU.

What's your CPU/GPU temperatures, it may be throttling.

"Old I know but I was told it would not bottleneck the card"

However told you that is completely misinformed about what a bottleneck is and how one occurs.

A bottleneck only occurs on the CPU's part if it is at or close to 100%, if it isn't then what's it bottlenecking? Nothing.

"does not go anywhere near 100% cpu usage"

This confirms that there is no bottleneck also.

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014

Oh sorry. That's what most people have told me of what it is and how it works. So that means my cpu isn't bottlenecking either, but I still get below 80% GPU usage in some games, how so? (Vsync always off, no frame limiter, and sometimes playable sometimes not so fps). Maybe my resolution of 1680x1050 isn't pushing the card enough? Or game settings aren't demanding enough?

Same17

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
With Final Fantasy running in the background still getting the same frame rate. My temp for my GPU is 34c and my CPU is 49c

Upade - Played The Old Republic for a bit, Checked both the temperatures for both things GPU is 35c and my CPU is 54c. This was also on the highest settings the game would go. So as far as I can tell that is pretty normal.

Wasn't really referring to you, more so the OP. GPU usage is decided on how hard the card is working, often it'll run at 100% to achieve highest FPS possible but at that res, the card most likely isn't needing to go above 80%.

Temps look normal also. Also these games your playing shouldn't be requiring hardware that's so great, how's your card performing in graphic-intensive games on reasonable settings?

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014
Well in BF4 I get 60+ FPS on High with Mantle on and get 70-80% GPU load. But when I max out the settings at the same res I get 99% GPU load 45-70 FPS.
Batman Arkham City runs at 60+ FPS (sometimes drops because of poor optimization) on Extreme graphics, No AA (FXAA on High) no DX11, no Physx, and runs on about 30% GPU load average. When playing maxed out, it runs at about 70-80% GPU load but get like 35-40 FPS with massive drops sometimes, which is unplayable to me. One game that does run like absolute shit is ARMA 2. Even on the lowest settings I can't get the FPS above 30 on Dayz mod multiplayer in a big city, which seems to be a bottleneck issue since I only lose like 5 FPS when maxed out.

If you want to discuses this through PM, that'll be a good idea. CPU/GPU Temps are a huge factor also. Throttling can cause limitation, and also the motherboard.

Same17

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
Do you have any idea what the problem with my computer is? The previous card I had in the machine was fairly old gt 230. I tried removing old drivers using a guide someone posted online by deleting folders and using some program, This was after I had problems just so you know. So I don't think anything I did when doing that could be the issue.

Same17

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
As far as I know it's just a generic stock psu that I've had for awhile, I would never had thought that would have been the problem though with the card needing so little power in the first place.

Same17

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
I don't really own alot of modern games if I'm honest, The latest game I've purchased is Borderlands - The Pre-Sequel but that isn't really a demanding game. I have things like Hitman: Absolution, Dark souls 2 and Metro 2033 but nothing really recent.