[SOLVED] Gtx 750ti in a HP Compaq 8200 Elite?

May 21, 2021
Hi all,

looking for advice on graphics card

I have a HP Compaq 8200 Elite MT

with:

motherboard: HP 1495 (socket 0)

CPU: i5 2400 quad core
@3.10ghz (Sandy bridge)

Ram: 8gb ddr3 @665mhz (upgrading to 16gb in future)

Hard drive 1: 240gb ssd
Hard drive 2: Samsung 870evo 2tb ssd

Corsair 550watt power supply with 24pin to 6pin adapter

dvd writer

I have brought a GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
It’s a full size card

but when I go to install the card, the cpu heat sink is in the way slightly and the card won’t fit :(

it seems the second fan and part of the gpu heat sink are in the way.

so what advice would you give me?

1. sell the graphics card and buy a low profile card :/

2. custom gpu heat sink & fan??

Last edited:
Solution
Assuming this is your system, thats not the MT. the MT wouldnt have this issue.
601206_869297_03_front_zoom.jpg

I wouldn't bother upgrading that system. Start with something that isn't so proprietary and won't have this issue.

This is what happens when Youtubers make videos about how they turned a cheap office PC into a gaming rig. People try it at home, without realizing that they probably do not have the experience, or access to parts that the Youtubers do. Linus, as an example, has a storage facility full to the brim with parts that he has purchased over the years, so he has the luxury of being able to experiment that someone at home...

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Assuming this is your system, thats not the MT. the MT wouldnt have this issue.
601206_869297_03_front_zoom.jpg

I wouldn't bother upgrading that system. Start with something that isn't so proprietary and won't have this issue.

This is what happens when Youtubers make videos about how they turned a cheap office PC into a gaming rig. People try it at home, without realizing that they probably do not have the experience, or access to parts that the Youtubers do. Linus, as an example, has a storage facility full to the brim with parts that he has purchased over the years, so he has the luxury of being able to experiment that someone at home doesn't without spending thousands and thousands of dollars on parts to try until they get it right. He also has a much bigger budget, since building PC's for videos is his job, and he can write off a lot of that spending against taxes. The final cut of the videos also don't show all the trial and error that went into getting that office PC to run games, they typically just show the final product. It can take a week or more of experimenting to get the PC to where you can shoot a 15 minute video about it. Linus also has a staff to do a lot of the work for him. He only has to talk about it when it is finished.

Solution
It is really simple in some computers, but not in others.

I had an Asus essentio, completely standard form factor. MATX. I just chucked in a GPU and it worked. Easy as that.

But when you start getting into machines that are not standard, you can run into issues. Low profile, other physical clearance issues. Power issues, be it proprietary low wattage PSU or a TDP limited PCIe slot. Bios's that are locked so they only work with certain gpus also happens sometimes.