[SOLVED] GTX 750ti on old Dell computer

Jun 1, 2021
Will a GTX 750ti work with the stock (especially power supply) of a Dell Optiplex 790 SFF? The wattage says "240 w".

Solution
Quite frankly you might need to look in another direction altogether. Why? The prebuilt OptiPlex you currently have is based on the 2nd Gen Platform from Intel. Considering we're now on 11th Gen soon to be on 12th Gen should tell you how old the system is. The other factor is that the sticker on the PSU says 240W but the unit will be outputting nearly half that amount(or less) considering that the unit is now about a decade old or more.
Jun 1, 2021
Ran across a pretty good pic of the inside of one:

Dell Optiplex 790 MFF – 5 (Win10) – RefurbIT

It appears that you have room for a half height card which would take two slots. I would double check length because it looks pretty tight.

As to your PSU, I believe the 750ti will be fine on that aspect. They are a sub 75W card and don't require a(supplemental) power connector.

Can you tell me of a cheaper card? (all I want to do is play counterstrike G. O. on good settings) that will fit in this dell optiplex 790 SFF case? This one doesn't fit. Someone gave it to me.

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
I can't afford that. Any recommendations for one that's substantially betterthan this dell on board video motherboard?

Anything that would be cheaper than that, would also be a lot slower, like an OEM R7 250, which I think would be completely useless as a gaming card. Maybe if you ran games in 720p with low settings, it might work, but over that, probably not.

I just did some searching, and r7 250 delivers about half the frames of a 1030, and there are games that won't run at all, so not really acceptable.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021
Anything that would be cheaper than that, would also be a lot slower, like an OEM R7 250, which I think would be completely useless as a gaming card. Maybe if you ran games in 720p with low settings, it might work, but over that, probably not.

I just did some searching, and r7 250 delivers about half the frames of a 1030, and there are games that won't run at all, so not really acceptable.

So you're saying the on board video is is better than anything under 50 bucks?

Jun 1, 2021
You could certainly get GPUs for <50 that outperform the integrated graphics, but still, none of the GPUs under $50 are going to be of any use for modern games without some SERIOUS graphics setting cuts.

All I want to do is play counterstrike Go . Can someone Please recommend me a video card under $50 that will out preform these dell optiplex 790 SSF integrated graphics.

Lutfij

Titan
Quite frankly you might need to look in another direction altogether. Why? The prebuilt OptiPlex you currently have is based on the 2nd Gen Platform from Intel. Considering we're now on 11th Gen soon to be on 12th Gen should tell you how old the system is. The other factor is that the sticker on the PSU says 240W but the unit will be outputting nearly half that amount(or less) considering that the unit is now about a decade old or more.

Solution
CS:GO is almost 10 years old and the minimum specs are super low. There are multiple half height cards on ebay(hd 6570, r5 340x, r5 330, gt 730) for $30-$40 that fall between the minimum and recommended specs to run the game, BUT...like Lutfij said your power supply is not only just 240w, but very old, even one of those cards would probably destroy the power supply.

If it was me and I just wanted to play some 10 year old games I'd pickup the Rosewill FBM-X2-400 case and 400w power supply on sale at newegg right now for $35 and "macgyver" the system into it and mount the proprietary power button into one of the slot covers and grab one of those $30-$40 video cards off ebay. At least that way you could use a full size card, wouldn't have a possible fire issue from the power supply breaking, and you'd already have a decent case/power supply to start building something from later on.

Last edited: