GTX 760 2GB no signal to display and not detected, but fan runs

Zjajo

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
I need help figuring out if this GPU really is dead.

My friend had an issue with his GPU(GTX 760 2GB). He said his display said "No signal" and the GPU was blowing really hot air out of the back vent, but he never troubleshooted the problem before replacing it with a new GPU and PSU.

After hearing about this, I talked him into giving it to me to troubleshoot and see if it was really dead, and if not I would put it in my kid's PC. I used my kid's PC to troubleshoot the GPU.

My kid's PC has:
ASUS M2N68-AM Plus mobo
AMD Athlon II X4 640 CPU
GTX 460 SE 1GB GPU
8GB(2x4GB) RAM @800mhz
250GB Samsung 750 EVO SSD
Corsair 600w PSU
Windows 7 Pro

Here is what I did:
I removed the GTX 460, plugged display into onboard VGA connector, turned PC on and uninstalled graphics drivers through the Device Manager. This brought the display to a very low resolution but was expected since I just removed the drivers. I then turned the PC off, installed the GTX 760, plugged HDMI cable from GPU to display and turned the PC on. I heard the case fans come on, I looked and saw the GPU fan spinning, and by this time I was expecting to see the BIOS to post but the display said "No signal". Many seconds went by before I heard the usual two beeps from the case speaker as the system booted the OS. I waited a few mins and still had no signal so I turned the PC off by pushing the power button.

Here is what I have tried:
With GTX 760 still installed, I disconnected HDMI and connected display via DVI port on GPU and turned on. -many seconds went by before hearing system beeps but still no signal

With GTX 760 still installed, I disconnected DVI and connected display via onboard VGA and turned on. -many seconds went by before hearing system beeps and then PC started as usual with display(was kind of expecting this)

I went into Device Manager and noticed it did not detect the GPU, it only detected the onboard graphics so I restarted PC, entered BIOS and made sure it was set to use external GPU. I will mention that I cannot disable onboard graphics but I have it set to PCI-E->PCI->IGP which would search for external GPU source first. I then saved changes, and took the steps to properly shutdown PC through Windows shutdown. Disconnected VGA and connected the display via the DVI port on the GPU. I turned the PC on, received"No signal" and waited several seconds before hearing the beeps as the OS booted. While PC still on, I disconnected DVI cable and connected the display via onboard VGA port. Went to Device Manager and still not detected. Fan on GPU is still spinning(default speed, not fast, and GPU does not get hot).

I then Google searched and tried many different suggestions over the next couple hours, including uninstalling drivers again, reinstalling GTX 460 to make sure it could be detected and it was detected immediately, I broke down the GTX 760 and cleaned it, closely inspected with magnifying glass for burn marks or discoloring but found nothing. I removed heatsink, cleaned old paste and reapplied new paste. I found nothing concerning when I broke down the GPU, only minor dust. I tried Auto Detecting the GPU using Nvidia's website but only found onboard graphics. I tried installing GTX 760 drivers from Nvidia but it stops and says it could not detect required hardware even though card has been reseated and all cables are connected. I tried showing hidden devices in Device Manager and it still doesn't show the GTX 760.

If the fan works then it obviously gets power. If it gets power, why doesn't Device Manager detect the GPU? If it doesn't detext the GPU, how can I install the drivers? Is there anything else I can do before giving up? Is it possible the VRAM got too hot while in my friends machine and is toast? Would "reflowing" be an option, or does that even work anymore?(I only have a hair dryer)

Any help would be appreciated.

Zjajo

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
Just to make certain that I'm clear:
The system I am testing the GTX 760 with runs fine when I place the original GTX 460 back in and reinstall drivers. The power consumption of the two GPUs are near identical and take the same 2 x 6pin connectors. I do not have a second system to test the card in because my system is a smaller form factor, but keep in mind that the GTX 760 came from a system that spits the same issues I am getting when I try to use the card. Obviously, the card has a 99% chance of being trash, but I wanted to ask the community for other suggestions before I throw the card out.

TRENDING THREADS