[SOLVED] GTX 760 4GB vs Radeon HD 7950

May 20, 2021
Hey everyone!
Can someone tell me what graphic card is stronger out of those 2?

GTX 760 4GB or Radeon HD 7950 3GB?

Solution
Sorry to disturb you once more, but you have been of very great help to this computer noob haha, if you could just tell me, what gpu is better out of those two HD 7950 3GB or Gigabyte R9 280X OC Windforce 3GB? I did a little bit of google search and it would seem that R9 280x is a bit better but I am still not quite sure, so if you could help me out on this one I would be very grateful!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I also read somewhere that R9 280X have overheating problem but that seemed to be on older updates, now I am not so sure since not many people are using it nowadays

The 280X is based on the same chip as the HD7970 (with a bit of an overclock), so it's essentially the next model up from the 7950 so a little faster. With...
Hey everyone!
Can someone tell me what graphic card is stronger out of those 2?

GTX 760 4GB or Radeon HD 7950 3GB?

When they released the 760 was slightly ahead of the 7950, however if you look up benchmarks of more recent titles the 7950 is faster these days as it's based on AMD's 'GCN' graphics architecture which they still use a version of in their current integrated graphics whereas the Kepler core used in the 700 series nVidia cards isn't really supported anymore.

The extra 1gb of video ram on the 760 might allow it to run with higher quality textures in some games, although 3gb should be enough for 1080p gaming if you don't mind running high instead of ultra texture quality. The main issue you will have with both cards is that neither design fully supports DX12 so some of the newest games might not run.

Reactions: Yarzhes
May 20, 2021
When they released the 760 was slightly ahead of the 7950, however if you look up benchmarks of more recent titles the 7950 is faster these days as it's based on AMD's 'GCN' graphics architecture which they still use a version of in their current integrated graphics whereas the Kepler core used in the 700 series nVidia cards isn't really supported anymore.

The extra 1gb of video ram on the 760 might allow it to run with higher quality textures in some games, although 3gb should be enough for 1080p gaming if you don't mind running high instead of ultra texture quality. The main issue you will have with both cards is that neither design fully supports DX12 so some of the newest games might not run.
Thank you for the quick reply! Hm I see...tbh I am on a low budget so I wanted to get myself a slight gpu upgrade that will increase fps in few games, I dont mind playing on medium quality on 720p monitor. So do you recommend me to go for 7950 HD then?

May 20, 2021
Yeah of those two I think the 7950 is the better option.
Sorry to disturb you once more, but you have been of very great help to this computer noob haha, if you could just tell me, what gpu is better out of those two HD 7950 3GB or Gigabyte R9 280X OC Windforce 3GB? I did a little bit of google search and it would seem that R9 280x is a bit better but I am still not quite sure, so if you could help me out on this one I would be very grateful!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I also read somewhere that R9 280X have overheating problem but that seemed to be on older updates, now I am not so sure since not many people are using it nowadays

Last edited:

The 280X is based on the same chip as the HD7970 (with a bit of an overclock), so it's essentially the next model up from the 7950 so a little faster. With regards to heating, I'd suggest looking at reviews for the specific model as some manufacturers coolers are better than others... Gigabyte cards are usually decent though generally so it should be ok.

Solution

andyanderson

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020
heads up tho, I had a GT 730 2GB GDDR5 kepler recently for and budget build and it overclocked like a dream, +300 core, +600 Vram. so for what its worth, i think the nvidia may overclock better

May 20, 2021
The 280X is based on the same chip as the HD7970 (with a bit of an overclock), so it's essentially the next model up from the 7950 so a little faster. With regards to heating, I'd suggest looking at reviews for the specific model as some manufacturers coolers are better than others... Gigabyte cards are usually decent though generally so it should be ok.
Thank you once again!

I am sorry for being annoying but one more question please, do you think my current PSU would be enough for this graphic card and other components? I have read that required power supply for this card is 600W which shocked me but when I used online power supply calculator it says that around 450W will be enough for this setup. Here are my current specs:

GA P55 USB3 rev 2.0 Motherboard
i7 870 CPU
12GB RAM DDR3 1333Mhz
300GB HDD
DVD Rom Drive
LC66506P3 V2.3 PSU 600W
+
R9 280X

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you once again!

I am sorry for being annoying but one more question please, do you think my current PSU would be enough for this graphic card and other components? I have read that required power supply for this card is 600W which shocked me but when I used online power supply calculator it says that around 450W will be enough for this setup. Here are my current specs:

GA P55 USB3 rev 2.0 Motherboard
i7 870 CPU
12GB RAM DDR3 1333Mhz
300GB HDD
DVD Rom Drive
LC66506P3 V2.3 PSU 600W
+
R9 280X
This is a no brainier if you have the 280X keep it LOL.

https://hwbench.com/vgas/radeon-hd-7950-vs-radeon-r9-280x

May 20, 2021
Dammit...they ran out of R9 280X...they only have R9 280, this one to be exact HIS R9 280 IceQ X2 OC Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database
Is this one better than 7950 HD? As far as I have seen, performance difference would be minimal between those two...But they cost the same amount of money so even a slightly higher performance is fine by me.

EDIT: Also I have read on that site that it needs 1x 6-pin + 1x 8-pin but one reddit post pinpointed that this gpu needs 2 8 pin connectors since it's OC serie, can someone confirm this please?
My PSU has 2x PCI-Express 6+2 pin, so I guess it doesn't matter anyway, right?

Last edited:
Google is always your friend. You literally gave the link of the card and in that link it says that it uses 1x 6pin and 1x 8pin.

Your PSU is the LC6650GP3 and not LC66506P3 as the second one does not exist. They are mediocre PSUs at best. I wouldn't use it to power a gaming rig, especially if it's aged as they do degrade over time. It's being sold as a 650W PSU when in reality it can output 550W in the 12V rail at BEST and under ideal conditions. 12V is the rail that matters in modern PCs.
In the future, if you want to compare GPUs, you can use this link from Tom's with the GPU hierarchy:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

below the list of the new GPUs there is a legacy list.

May 20, 2021
Google is always your friend. You literally gave the link of the card and in that link it says that it uses 1x 6pin and 1x 8pin.

Your PSU is the LC6650GP3 and not LC66506P3 as the second one does not exist. They are mediocre PSUs at best. I wouldn't use it to power a gaming rig, especially if it's aged as they do degrade over time. It's being sold as a 650W PSU when in reality it can output 550W in the 12V rail at BEST and under ideal conditions. 12V is the rail that matters in modern PCs.
In the future, if you want to compare GPUs, you can use this link from Tom's with the GPU hierarchy:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

below the list of the new GPUs there is a legacy list.

I know it's not some op psu for gaming but it will do, since I only intend to play on this pc for 2-3 months before I get a job in another country so i guess it will do just fine for this time.

Dammit...they ran out of R9 280X...they only have R9 280, this one to be exact HIS R9 280 IceQ X2 OC Specs | TechPowerUp GPU Database
Is this one better than 7950 HD? As far as I have seen, performance difference would be minimal between those two...But they cost the same amount of money so even a slightly higher performance is fine by me.

EDIT: Also I have read on that site that it needs 1x 6-pin + 1x 8-pin but one reddit post pinpointed that this gpu needs 2 8 pin connectors since it's OC serie, can someone confirm this please?
My PSU has 2x PCI-Express 6+2 pin, so I guess it doesn't matter anyway, right?

The 280 is the updated version of the 7950, very similar but the 280 should be a fraction faster. One thing to look out for, there is an 'R9 285' out there with 2gb vram instead of 3gb... those are worth a look as it's based on a newer gpu which has much better support for the latest graphics API (the 285 is based on GNC 2.0, like the R9 290 series cards, whilst the 280 and 280X are GCN 1.0 cards which lacks some hardware needed for proper DX12 / Vulkan support).

May 20, 2021
The 280 is the updated version of the 7950, very similar but the 280 should be a fraction faster. One thing to look out for, there is an 'R9 285' out there with 2gb vram instead of 3gb... those are worth a look as it's based on a newer gpu which has much better support for the latest graphics API (the 285 is based on GNC 2.0, like the R9 290 series cards, whilst the 280 and 280X are GCN 1.0 cards which lacks some hardware needed for proper DX12 / Vulkan support).

Hmm I see. Thank you for helping me out!