GTX 760 - GTX 660 SLI - GTX 970 What to buy?

Hi everyone
These days I’m planning to buy a used graphic card. But I have no idea about performance differences in following setups.

1). GTX 760 ($78.39)
2).GTX 660 SLI ($54.27) (Already have a one)
3).GTX 960 ($108.54)

But when I went through some benchmark results I noticed that 660 SLI perform much better than both single 760/960. So what will be the worthy choice that I can make?
Assume If I get that 760, will I be able to run both cards without using SLI. In this case I know that SLI will not work but I have seen some “Youtubers” used to run deferent graphic cards some times. So if I make that 760 the primary card then what else can I do with 660? Can i keep it as secondary card? So I can use it pass-through for VMs like
At the moment I have,

Pentium G4400------------ (Planning to buy an i5 6400)
8G DDR4
B150M D3H
GTX 660 Gigabyte OC 2GB---------?
700W PSU

Thank you!

Solution
Sell the 660 and grab the 960. From someone who previously had SLI and unfortunately is going to have to use it again (I don't have money for a GPU but own two EVGA GTX 550 ti's 2gb) the support is pretty poor nowadays. Fortunately though the games where I do need the extra performance of a second card do actually support SLI so I'm hoping these 6 yrs cards hold up until I can afford a good GPU.

For Nvidia SLI it needs to be the same GPU but you can mix manufacturers. Don't bother using a 760 with a 660 as all your going to be able to do is use it for a dedicated PhysX card which is kind of pointless nowadays.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Don't bother with SLI - few games support it, and sometimes it hurts performance rather than helps it. It can also be difficult to set up. DISCLAIMER: going by what I've read. I've never actually done SLI.

If you're going to upgrade, the 760 doesn't make enough difference to justify the upgrade.

I cannot speak as to running multiple different model video cards - I have no knowledge on how that works.

Am I correct in assuming you're running a 1920x1080 @ 60Hz monitor?

WildCard999

Titan
Sell the 660 and grab the 960. From someone who previously had SLI and unfortunately is going to have to use it again (I don't have money for a GPU but own two EVGA GTX 550 ti's 2gb) the support is pretty poor nowadays. Fortunately though the games where I do need the extra performance of a second card do actually support SLI so I'm hoping these 6 yrs cards hold up until I can afford a good GPU.

For Nvidia SLI it needs to be the same GPU but you can mix manufacturers. Don't bother using a 760 with a 660 as all your going to be able to do is use it for a dedicated PhysX card which is kind of pointless nowadays.

Solution